Upgrading - but can I use these old parts?

Associate
Hi All,

So after 7 years, I am finally going to do a big upgrade of my PC.

I plan to use some of my old parts, so the final build will consist of the following:

New Items:

Graphics card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 DirectCU II OC Strix 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 PC4-21300C16 2666MHz Quad Channel Kit
Storage: Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

Old Items:

CPU Fan: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 Intel LGA1366, LGA1156, LGA1155, LGA775 and AMD AM2, AM2+, AM3 aluminum with nickel plated copper base Processor Cooler
Power Supply: Be Quiet 550W
Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Soundcard Soundcard
Case: Antec 1200 Twelve Hundred Full Tower Case
Storage: Western Digital WD6400AACS 640GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache

I have two concerns;

1) Will the Noctua Fan be good enough for the CPU as I have seen a lot of water cooling solutions for that particular CPU? Will I actually be able to use it because of the change of motherboard/socket? If not, any suggestions?
2) Will the power supply be good enough at only 550W? I have gone to the BeQuiet website and used their power calculator which tells me it will be, but I have my doubts.

Any guidance is gratefully received.

Thanks in advance :)

Stefano

Soldato
My 3930K and 970 pulls less than 300w at the wall. That's with 6 hard drives, 9 fans and a pump running. The PSU will be fine. If it's really getting on though a new one for £70 odd isn't a bad idea :)

I don't know how dissimilar the Z170 socket is to the older stuff so cannot comment on the cooler.

Associate
as above I would say youll be safe to reuse the cooler and the psu as long as its fairly recent.

the noctua nh-u12p se2 gets a good review its not the best Air cooler out there but its far from the worst.

as for the PSU.. how old is it? it should be up to the job but as stated above if its a few years old I would think about budgeting for a new one.
just remember if the PSU pops it can take out other components.. not all the time but it can happen.
I was lucky when mine went it wiped out a hard drive and there wasn't much on it of importance by luck.

Caporegime
That will all be fine! :)

You might have to use Microsofts automated phone system to re-activate Windows 7 though, on the other hand you might not even need to do that.

Associate
OP
Update

Thank you for the answers everyone :)

I did some more research myself and with your helpful answers have come to the following conclusions:

I will use the original cooler and see how the temps are under load; if I need a better cooler, I can get one at that point. Thanks setter and jbh110tdi for your help here.

As for the PSU, I had a look at the original manual and the ampage is 20A which may be a little too low. It is a 7 year old PSU and I think it would be wise to get a new one as it may be near the end of its life. Thanks to NoNameNoNumber, rtho782 and jbh110tdi for your direction.

Thanks to Acme for pointing out something I had not even thought about; Windows activation.

Associate
yea worst case scenario as Acme says you may need to use the phone activation for windows but its normally pretty straight forward.

with the PSU being 7 year's old I would replace it as a matter of course.
as I say if it lets go it can take other components with it so its cheaper to replace it now than later if it were to go pop

Back
Top Bottom