• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 3770k or i5 6600k

Looking to upgrade from my sig rig.

Im not sure whats better the 3770k or the 6600k, i got £300 to spend.

I seen a 6600k local to me with a asus rog gene viii and 4x2gb of gskill ram, or i can get a 3770k for £170 plus i will need to get a board aswell with the othe £130

it be used for gaming, bf4, cod, crysis.

What would you pick.

Caporegime
Well 2 of the games you list do quite like i7's especially Crysis 3! I saw massive gains in some parts going from a 2500k to a 3770k ( the heavily grass animated bits).

In a lot of games there won't be a large difference between the two but bear in mind extra threads and cores do defiantly help in some titles.

Associate
OP
Thats what i was thinking as has HT and with bf4 now i get around around 95 fps using vsr to 1440p.

Or should i just go for 6600k and when the next set of cards come out from both sides, upgrade the gpu then to a single card plus i be on the lastest platform.

Soldato
i7 3770k because you have xfire! And the actual performance increase from a ivy to skylake isn't big enough yet to start shouting from the rough tops about. Your not likley to see much performance difference in games from ivy to skylake. 2-4 frames per second at best!

Where as i7 with games which like multithread CPU's such as Crysis BF4 etc and you have xfire the i7 is much more suitable!

Soldato
Might struggle to find one now. I only got a cheapish MSI motherboard. Was £88 pound at the time and it overclocks my i5 3750k quite well, although my chip isn't the best! As long as you get a motherboard with decent VRM cooling and it's not a basic board i think you should be okay. Gigabyte, MSI, Asus are usually the ones to go for!

Caporegime
i dont see the point in swopping from what you have to a old platform.

if new there is no point buy a newer cpu.if secondhand most will probably of been oc off here and may start to be degrading.

from what ive seen cpus ocd tend to start degrading about 2-3 years in once ocd.

so im saying go the newer i7 route and have ddr4 or x99.

Soldato
Oh blimey, I just re-read your OP. For some reason I assumed you already had an i5.?.?.?

Thats a much more difficult call, for a half decent Z77 board you'll pay through the nose for a new one purely as the socket is dead now. If it's an entire platform upgrade then you may be better looking at Skylake as has been posted that upgrading your kit to an already dead platform does seem a bit silly.

A DC i5 bundle can be had for less than your budget, it's not current but would still be an upgrade in the right direction;
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...-4690k-bundle-14-pounds-saving-bu-014-as.html

Soldato
I'm sort of in this situation as I want to upgrade my i5-3570K as it's 3 years old and maybe get the best from my 980Ti @ 3440x1440.

So a side step to a i7-3770K for now would suit me.

I was looking very closely at the 8 Pack i7-5830K bundle that's still available on Monday at a very tempting price but very limited supply.

However I'm now going to wait/gamble on Kaby Lake + 200 series chipset being released next year as I'm also interested in the Intel 3D XPoint RAM/Storage tech coming out then.

Back to the original OP I have the most basic Gigabyte z77X board (3DH) and that OCs my i5-3570K @ 4.5 GHz no problem at all so any of the Gigabyte Z77x mobos should work well with an i7-3770K.

Soldato
I'm sort of in this situation as I want to upgrade my i5-3570K as it's 3 years old and maybe get the best from my 980Ti @ 3440x1440.

So a side step to a i7-3770K for now would suit me.

I was looking very closely at the 8 Pack i7-5830K bundle that's still available on Monday at a very tempting price but very limited supply.

However I'm now going to wait/gamble on Kaby Lake + 200 series chipset being released next year as I'm also interested in the Intel 3D XPoint RAM/Storage tech coming out then.

Back to the original OP I have the most basic Gigabyte z77X board (3DH) and that OCs my i5-3570K @ 4.5 GHz no problem at all so any of the Gigabyte Z77x mobos should work well with an i7-3770K.

I actually made the same jump with the same board and gpu. Don't regret it one bit. With dx12 right round the corner I expect I won't need to upgrade for quite a while (although I probably will anyway!)

Back
Top Bottom