Gaming Speaker recommendations

Soldato
If it's not primarily use for music but for gaming (and possibly movies and films), then some 2.1 setup probably be better choice than 2.0.

You are a bit late, the rainforest place had the Logitech Z906 5.1 with 50% off at £160 on Lightning deal (though they were sold out during the early access for Prime members...)

Soldato
You could also consider this:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/raze...c-5.1-channel-gaming-sound-bar-sp-038-ra.html

The thing about most speakers without digital input is that it would require a good soundcard/DAC to make them sound as good as they should. For example the Corsair SP2500 2.1 is a good set of 2.1 speakers (I only one myself), but if plugging it into the analog output of the motherboard it would still sound poor.

The Razor Leviathan above has digital input, meaning you would not need a soundcard/DAC for it to sound its best. Also it has other extra features such as Bluetooth 4.0 with aptX, which would be useful if you wish to play music to it from your phone/tablet for example.

Soldato
If you're going with 2.1 I've seen the Logitech Z623 pop up for £79.99 a couple of times this week in a black friday deal elsewhere, so could appear at this price again.

I'm happy with my SP2500 which somebody recommended above, but almost went for the Logitechs and they seem like a bargain at that price.

Soldato
If you're going with 2.1 I've seen the Logitech Z623 pop up for £79.99 a couple of times this week in a black friday deal elsewhere, so could appear at this price again.

I'm happy with my SP2500 which somebody recommended above, but almost went for the Logitechs and they seem like a bargain at that price.

Corsairs are better but i have the logitechs due to price. Sound amazing tbh.

Soldato
I have the Corsair SP2500 as well, but my only concern is that OP would may be plugging it into motherboard onboard sound and disappointed by it, considering he's a a bit of a noob in the audio department.

Would be good to know if OP has any half-decent soundcard or DAC.

Soldato
I wouldnt even bother looking at PC speakers.

I used to have them and had some of the best - Harmon Kardon, Creative Megaworks 550, logitech Z something... Then decided to try a Cambridge Audio A1 amplifier and Mission bookshelf speakers, never looked back. A basic hifi amp and bookshelf speaker setup put my rather expensive Megaworks to shame.

If you look second hand you could easily get a pretty good amp and some floor standing speakers for £150. If you dont have much space then look at bookshelf speakers.

You could also look at getting active (powered speakers that do not require a seperate amplifier) such as KRK Rokit 5's. You would need to buy second hand to get them for around £150 but these with destroy any pc speakers

Soldato
I wouldnt even bother looking at PC speakers.

I used to have them and had some of the best - Harmon Kardon, Creative Megaworks 550, logitech Z something... Then decided to try a Cambridge Audio A1 amplifier and Mission bookshelf speakers, never looked back. A basic hifi amp and bookshelf speaker setup put my rather expensive Megaworks to shame.

If you look second hand you could easily get a pretty good amp and some floor standing speakers for £150. If you dont have much space then look at bookshelf speakers.

You could also look at getting active (powered speakers that do not require a seperate amplifier) such as KRK Rokit 5's. You would need to buy second hand to get them for around £150 but these with destroy any pc speakers
I think you are forgetting that OP is asking about speakers for gaming not music. Most entry level bookshelf speakers on their own won't hit the low frequency lower than around 70-80Hz, so whilst they are decent for music, they fall short for the sound effects of gaming. Also Floorstander are not practical to use with desktop gaming usage, and you simply cannot place and position them properly (they are not even tall enough to reach ear level).

If OP was asking about speakers for music, then most of us would probably recommend bookshelf speakers like you have.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP should only get 5.1 speakers if he can place them properly for good surround sound; otherwise, just go for 2.1; or just grab a pair of Microlab Solo 8 or 9C. :D Good for music and good for gaming (if you don't want 5.1).

Soldato
OP should only get 5.1 speakers if he can place them properly for good surround sound; otherwise, just go for 2.1; or just grab a pair of Microlab Solo 8 or 9C. :D Good for music and good for gaming (if you don't want 5.1).
I have just retired my Solo7c and replaced it with my Monitor Audio BX2 and A100.

Permabanned
On OcUK!? Or elsewhere?

Elsewhere... gone now though... cracking deal IMO.

The placement doesn't have to be perfect... but roughly in the right location, yes.

I bought my Z906 speakers specifically for gaming and that's all they're used for now. I like having the extra positional audio... they're a really good gaming system and the sub gives a nice punch to gunfire and explosions.

They're not the best for music though... they're OK... but you can get much better for the same price in a 2.0 system.

Soldato
Still really pleased with my 2.1 Aego M for gaming - much better than the logitech Z setup I had prior.
I have AE Aego M 2.1 and th Corsair SP2500, and for music I would definitely pick the Aego M, but for gaming and movies I'd go with my SP2500 instead as it can hit lower bass frequency for the effects, as well as offering a bigger soundstage which provide a bit better sense of immersion than the Aego M.

Soldato
The placement doesn't have to be perfect... but roughly in the right location, yes.

Somewhere in the right location is certainly fine; it's just, I've seen some people place all 5 satellites on the desk in front of them, and another with both rears on one side behind them. :(

Some people think more speakers is better, wherever they are placed. :p

Always best to ask if they can be placed properly, so not to waste the OPs time, if he is planning either of the above.

Back
Top Bottom