Best 'value' SSD?

Associate
I want a SSD simply to slap Windows on and some small software I use a lot. 60GB should be fine as I wouldent mind cleaning away the old / useless files from it and I have a 1TB HDD for storage.

However, my question is - what SSD is considered the best? I have been looking at Corsair ones but I'm not sure as Crucial is another well known brand. Maybe the OCZ Agility would be nice too?

Thanks in advance :)

Can't type for toffee
Don
M4 and Sandisk tbh keep an eye on the prices too.
I've opted for a Sandisk Extreme, had a bit credit left elsewhere so ended up paying £35 for a 120Gb one :)

Not even installed it yet and Im tempted to grab a 240Gb too lol

Associate
OP
M4 128GB only £90 ish now.

Sadly I can't afford that, I can only just squeeze a 60GB in and I'm sure it would be enough for my needs.

As far as SSDs go I don't fancy a Sandisk and rather go for a more popular choice.

I am leaning towards the M4 Cruical and almost all its reviews on the net says it's pretty nice. Any thoughts on the OCZ though? It's a little cheaper but I wouldent mind investing a bit more into the M4 if its going to give more reliabilty.

Associate
minimum 128 preferably 256 for the sweetspot.

really i know u want an ssd but at that size as soon as you get it you will wish for bigger, 128 is minimum and even that is pushing it.. really

best wait untill the pennies are in the bank and get a bigger one..

still atm tho m4 is the way to go i beleive

will add.................... all i use mine for (256) is op sys and 2 games and a couple games related programs 60 gb is too small really i would recomend waiting a bit and put it in the bank under ssd fund untill u can get a bigger one ..

Last edited:
Soldato
minimum 128 preferably 256 for the sweetspot.

really i know u want an ssd but at that size as soon as you get it you will wish for bigger, 128 is minimum and even that is pushing it.. really

best wait untill the pennies are in the bank and get a bigger one..

That's just not true though is it.

I've got a 30Gb OCZ Agility with Windows 7 Ultimate installed on the SFF media PC in my lounge. Not once have I wished I had a bigger drive.

I have a 60Gb OCZ Vertex 2 in my Windows laptop. Again, never an issue.

60Gb OCZ Agility 3 in my i5 desktop.....no issue.

The only bigger one I have is 128Gb Crucial M4 in my Macbook. The only reason I wanted bigger was to dual boot with Windows.

I store all my documents and media on NAS.

You may well be right that the OP might need more, I'm sure lots of people have been tempted by the speeds to buy less than they really needed but he's the only one that can really judge.

Associate
That's just not true though is it.

I agree, it's not true that 128gb or more is the minimum.

I`ve built a few "office" PCs with Crucial M4 64gb SSDs. Absolutely no problem fitting Win 7, Updates, Antivirus, Office suite etc onto the drive. There's around 35Gb left after all the "main" stuff is installed. 1Tb HHDs make people lazy. It's like having a large shed, there is always the temptation to fill it with rubbish. 35Gb is still a lot of space, unless you are storing lots of photos or apps.

Associate
OP
Thanks all. I think I will go with the Cruical M4 as it's clearly the popular choice here.

As for the space, 60GB is fine. I'm only going to put Windows on it, anti virus and a web browser there. Maybe photoshop to. I'm not that much of a gamer so I will just put them on my 1TB drive.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Associate
Get the M4, then when you've saved a bit more add another and raid then. More space, more speed and the only downside is the hassle of setting it up, imaging your drive etc...at currrent prices it'd be datf not to jump in.

Associate
OP
Get the M4, then when you've saved a bit more add another and raid then. More space, more speed and the only downside is the hassle of setting it up, imaging your drive etc...at currrent prices it'd be datf not to jump in.

Indeed. I am going to grab myself the M4 on Monday :)

Man of Honour
I couldn't live with 60GB. I had a 128GB M4 but I was forever space managing and it was doing my head in, this is with hibernate disabled and no swap file. Whenever a new game came out, I'd have to figure which one to take off. I've got a 256GB one in there now, so much better and I'm still tempted to go for a 512GB one when prices come down further (fingers crossed!).

Associate
OP
I couldn't live with 60GB. I had a 128GB M4 but I was forever space managing and it was doing my head in, this is with hibernate disabled and no swap file. Whenever a new game came out, I'd have to figure which one to take off. I've got a 256GB one in there now, so much better and I'm still tempted to go for a 512GB one when prices come down further (fingers crossed!).

Not sure how it can be so messy:p I currently have my 1TB HDD partitioned so C drive is 80GB while the D is the rest. My C drive is barely ever full. Games do take a lot of space now though. My Wow folder is 22GB :O

Soldato
I have two 60GB OCZ Agilty 3 drives. One as a boot drive and the other Caching a 2TB games drive. It's the best setup I have tried and gives superb performance for desktop use and games without costing the earth.

Associate
I've got a Corsair Force GT 60GB which is brilliant. I have Windows 7, Adobe CS5 and a bunch of other stuff on there and I still have ~18GB free.

I realise it's not a budget drive though. I'd go for the Corsair Force 3, which is pretty much £1/GB. Personally I don't trust OCZ and the SanDisk Ultra is just not very good.

Back
Top Bottom