Windows Home Server 2011 and anniversary upgrade

Associate
I am unable to get WHS 2011 pc connector to install ever since the anniversary upgrade of win 10. It gets to downloading software and bugs out with an error message and unwinds. Tried every mortal thing and have resorted to Acronis.

Associate
I've upgraded all my PCs to W10 anniversary and WHS connector seems to be working as it should, and backups have all completed successfully.

Have you tried downloading the connector software and running it as administrator? I've found a few recent Windows updates have needed the connector software reinstalling and required this method. Also an issue I had in the past I had to uninstall the connector software before it would let me reinstall it.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply. First thing I noticed was backups had failed or hadn't been tried. Couldn't connect with the connector but could still through Windows network and remote desktop. Uninstalled connector but it wouldn't reinstall. Laptop is fine although it has also been updated. Been round the houses with it. Tried installing on the admin acount but no go. Noticed there was a server service which refused to start.

Associate
OP
Wonder if it's a server or client problem. It seems hardly worth reinstalling windows over. WHS is a bit overkill anyway but it did take daily backups regular as clockwork and saved my skin a few times. Acronis is doing the same job. I just can't give up on these problems!

Associate
Another thought with this, have you made sure WHS2011 is up to date, when I moved over to Windows I did clean installs and had exactly the fault you described, shortly after WHS installed Windows updates and the connector worked from then on...

Perhaps Microsoft haven't yet caught up.

Associate
OP
Yes that's possible. Odd that the laptop is ok and its had the anniversary update. If it hadn't worked either I would just give up on it. How would windows 10 do as a server anyway? would it work headless like WHS does?

Associate
Windows 10 works really well as a server, I've got a cheap small Dell with 8GB memory and an i3 processor running as a CCTV server, If anything needs doing I just RDP into it. Runs cool enough to just tuck away somewhere with just a power and network cable attached. I see no reason why the same couldn't be done with something for storage, just add HDDs and create shared folders.

Associate
the only problem with window 10 as a server operating system is it will randomly decide to restart when it feels like it and then you have to log in for services to start. For this reason i am going back to server 2012 r2.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions. I would have thought you could turn power saving off and no password so that if it does restart after an update you go straight back to work?

Associate
When backup software are you using?

I too am tired of WHS2011 but have not found any backup software as good and with all these features.
- Free
- Centralised management
- Incremental backup (with automatic purge)
- Wakes clients up before, then puts clients to sleep after
- Simple bare metal restore

Back
Top Bottom