UPS Power Draw

Soldato
Afternoon all,

Thought you guys maybe able to help me.

We had two power cuts this afternoon only for about 2 minutes each. Which meant each time instructing the misses to turn my server on. So now is time to buy a UPS to give me some cover. The APC 1400 VA AVR seems to fit the bill and have room for expansion.

I currently want to run off the UPS:

*Cisco ASA 5510
*Cisco 3560x
*Home made server.

Along with this I want to add a Cisco WAP and the FTTC Openreach Box. Currently this all pulls about 250-300watts.

The exam question is, if I put the UPS in does it pull 700watts or does it only pull what the devices need?

Matt

Associate
doesnt it just bypass the battery (just keeping it topped up) and feed what is required, or where would the extra 400-450 watts go once the battery is charged?

Soldato
Cant say for the small one's like this, but the larger server room one's (I've got an 60, 80, 90 and 140 KVA) usually take a full charge, then trickle charge for a while, then discharge to a certain amount and recharge again. All the while providing power.#

You need to keep an eye on temperatures, as outside the range specified it can affect the life of the batteries.

Last edited:
Associate
I

I had a APC smart ups 700VA and this drew 60W from the wall even when all connected devices were powered off. The batteries were charged I dont know if it was faulty or if that was normal.

I gave it away in the end as the server only drew 120W

Back
Top Bottom