Help needed with Freesync upgrade

Associate
Hi ,

I have no knowledge when it comes to monitors so i hope someone can recommend some options my current monitor/gpu is 24" 1080p aoc monitor paired with a Asus Radeon Fury Strix DC3 OC 4096MB HBM PCI-Express Graphics Card.

My monitor is not the freesync version and i feel i should upgrade to get the best out my Fury .

The only game i generally play is Arma 3 as most people will no Arma 3 has pretty average fps i never see more than 70 fps in the mods i play but do have plans to get into battlefield 1 when it comes out.

I would like to upgrade to a monitor that would give me more fov i hope that is the right term i basically want to see more of the game im playing. like i've mentioned i am clueless when it comes to monitors so any help would be very much appreciated.

Associate
So you want to look for an ultrawide (21:9) freesync monitor. There're quite a few options available to you.

The options you have beyond that are what size and resolution you want, and whether you want curved or not. Size and res options are going to be 29" or 34" and 2560x1080 or 3440x1440. Generally most people will recommend you dont mix the bigger screen size with the lower resolution. Curved or not comes down to preference but you will usually pay a little more for it.

I actually just bought one myself, last week: LG 29UC88, which is a 29" 2560x1080 curved screen and I'm really happy with it. I love the wide aspect and freesync is amazing.

Associate
RX 480. I get 60+ in The Witcher 3 and between 50-80 in Arkham Knight. Both games with everything on Ultra. AK only dips down to 50 when in the Batmobile. Stays well above 60 when you're on-foot. Those are the latest games I've tried.

Associate
A little but I was coming from a 144Hz monitor. I think the trade off to have ultrawide IPS with freesync is well worth it.

Of course you could get a 144Hz freesync.

Associate
OP
i have had a good read today on the monitor you have and one thing im not sure on is people have mentioned hz between 40-75 this maybe a stupid question but what happens if im playing a game that drops to 30/35 fps will i notice anything in game. i could spend up to £700 but if my main games are low fps titles then i think £400 should be enough of a budget. really struggling to make my mind up

Associate
i have had a good read today on the monitor you have and one thing im not sure on is people have mentioned hz between 40-75 this maybe a stupid question but what happens if im playing a game that drops to 30/35 fps will i notice anything in game. i could spend up to £700 but if my main games are low fps titles then i think £400 should be enough of a budget. really struggling to make my mind up

If your fps goes outside of the monitor's freesync range then freesync will just stop working.

I've been using AMD's FRTC to make sure I dont go above 75Hz. I dont really haven't to worry about going below 40 playing at this resolution with the RX 480. Even if it was a concern I would prefer to lower the graphical options to increase the framerate anyway.

Associate
OP
Think i need to monitor my FPS in Arma 3 and decided if freesync is worth it , with regards to going outside the freesync range have you experienced this and is there any lag or anything when this occurs ?

Associate
Think i need to monitor my FPS in Arma 3 and decided if freesync is worth it , with regards to going outside the freesync range have you experienced this and is there any lag or anything when this occurs ?

There's no sudden change like the screen going black or the game crashing etc. You'll just be able to see any stuttering and screen tearing.

Associate

AMD Freesync now has LFC, as long as monitor has Freesync range of greater than or equal to 2.5 times the minimum Hz you will have the feature. For example Asus MG279Q has 35-90Hz range so has LFC but say a monitor with 48Hz-75Hz will not.

https://www.amd.com/Documents/freesync-lfc.pdf

Associate
Seems odd the newer XR342CK has a freesync range of 48-75Hz whereas the older XR341CK has 30-75Hz. Was looking to get one of these to pair with my fury.
Shame on overclockers not stocking it anymore.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies , i do not think superwide is for me so i am now looking at the Asus MG279Q all the numbers seem to suit what i need and any future games the extra hz will be good to have, i just hope i get a good one .

Back
Top Bottom