Spec me a synology Nas

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Having more and more photos building up I have decided to get a Synology!

Though looking at the amount of units available I'm very lost :/ and the 4bay I was looking at DS415+ has gone up in price in over a week to around £350 and above.

So now I'm just looking at a 2 bay for now that can take around 8GB or more on each bay and also want hardware encryption Incase of burglary

And not worried about Plex or any of that.

Though do want to backup Lightroom if possible?
£300 budget

Last edited:
Soldato
The 916+ has now replaced the 415+ buddy.

415+ has slightly better read/write performance but overall they are much of the same.
Hardware encrypton though is a 415+ strength whilst 4k hardware decoding is the 916+'s strength.

I wouldn't touch a two bay model now (thats after near on 5 years running 2 bay models) - you'll need it for the redundancy.

Avoid the 'Play' versions like the plague - hth

Associate
I have a 415+ and it is great.

It is quiet, looks good and the software is brilliant. There is so much you can do with it that I am sure it will suit anyone's needs.

Mine currently has 4 3TB Western Digital Red's in it running Synology Hybrid Raid, and has been humming along quite nicely for a year now.

Like Zoomee says, the 2 bays are not really worth it. When you consider the Raid overhead, expandability really helps.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
OP
hmm cheers guys. I was looking at a 2 bay just to get me started so at least i know I have something backing up once my pc is offline. And to have an offsite to crashplan.
I can't afford a one time hit of £600+ :( so might see about finance

Man of Honour
Unless you actually need TBs and TBs of space can do 2 bay with realtime remote replication setup to an external USB drive (I assume the 2 bays can do that the same as the 4 can) - I use the internal RAID on my NAS more for uptime convenience than relying on it for backup alone.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I was looking at a 2 bay just to get me started so at least i know I have something backing up once my pc is offline. And to have an offsite to crashplan.
I can't afford a one time hit of £600+ :( so might see about finance

Nothing wrong with a 2-bay solution + crashplan and/or an external drive.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
OP
The 415+ is now £467 :( not inc drives

A 412+ for £290

Looking at the DS216j £130 for a starter one

I have 4x external bays currently it's just not functional any more

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah the prices kind of suck - I picked up my 4 bay QNAP for around £250 now the equivalent model is a tiny bit under £400.

Back
Top Bottom