**SEAGATE IRONWOLF 10TB HAS LANDED**

Soldato
a 10TB would be great I could go down to 1 HDD. Atm use 3 seagate's 2 4's and 1 3
about 40% full (but I like the room :) - again be great to go down to 1 drive to use less power and less space in the case.

whats the difference between the above drives?

I really like seagate drives.

I hope you've got another 10TB's worth of cloud storage to back it all up too!?

These sort of size drives need to be used in multiples preferably in a RAID 6 or 10 array.

I'd want at the very minimum 2 in RAID 1 for that much storage and even then you'll need a back up elsewhere.

1 on its own is asking for trouble if you're saving precious data on it.

Associate
I hope you've got another 10TB's worth of cloud storage to back it all up too!?

These sort of size drives need to be used in multiples preferably in a RAID 6 or 10 array.

I'd want at the very minimum 2 in RAID 1 for that much storage and even then you'll need a back up elsewhere.

1 on its own is asking for trouble if you're saving precious data on it.

RAID6 or 10? And how long would the rebuild time be? Days probably.

RAID is dead now that drives of this size exist, long live SDS.

Gangster
OcUK Staff
OP
Yeah they are designed for NAS units so backup is a must. The rebuild time will probably be a long time for a couple of these. It is a risk having just one drive but the new drives have better firmware than previous drives to improve stability and reliability.

Associate
What is a drive 'designed especially for Gamers', how is it different to a normal drive?

The only thing I can think of is that it's got lots of typical childish plastic stuck to it, and silly RGB lights to make it 'gamer' - but it can't be that surely, is it technically different to a standard hard drive or is it just marketing rubbish.

Associate
I don't get this, Seagate have released three 10TB HDD's, yet the BarraCuda Pro is a fair bit more expensive than both the IronWolf and Seahawk, with the specs near almost identical.

The only difference I can see is the TB/Year, which at 180TB is still more than enough for 99% of people out there. No point whatsoever for anyone to buy the BarraCuda, especially with the IronWolf Pro just around the corner.

Back
Top Bottom