Vidahost Issue

Man of Honour
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I've opened two tickets in the past (well, reopened the first) and once the reply was an issue with the Oregon server and the second time Michael M thought a backup might have been running, but couldn't find anything. My own scheduled backup runs over a weekend in the early morning.

I'm going to look into these "Wordpress optimised" hosts and see about moving onto a standard hosting solution (I don't need the reseller aspect of my current account any longer).
A standard, new WordPress install loads in 100ms or so....but as sites add plugins and so on, performance can drop.

It is still possible to make it perform well, though finding the cause of any slowdown can be tricky. But I enjoy it ;)

As for 'WordPress optimised' hosting, all kinds of hosting needs the same type of thing - high quality hardware and decent software running on them. There are lots of inefficiencies in shared hosting compared to, say, a virtual server running just one site with opcode caching, but WordPress isn't usually that fussy about shared hosting environments, especially with caching plugins (eg supercache). Plain HTML sites load very fast however :D

A persistent few seconds plus is somewhat high & hopefully fixable, just ask for me to take a look if you contact us again...I founded the company with another member here - back in a time when I used to post a lot more!

Associate
A standard, new WordPress install loads in 100ms or so....but as sites add plugins and so on, performance can drop.

It is still possible to make it perform well, though finding the cause of any slowdown can be tricky. But I enjoy it ;)

As for 'WordPress optimised' hosting, all kinds of hosting needs the same type of thing - high quality hardware and decent software running on them. There are lots of inefficiencies in shared hosting compared to, say, a virtual server running just one site with opcode caching, but WordPress isn't usually that fussy about shared hosting environments, especially with caching plugins (eg supercache). Plain HTML sites load very fast however :D

A persistent few seconds plus is somewhat high & hopefully fixable, just ask for me to take a look if you contact us again...I founded the company with another member here - back in a time when I used to post a lot more!

Thread revival, I don't suppose you still work at vidahost do you? I've a hosting package with you and the speed is terrible, it can take 10+ seconds from pressing enter after typing in the URL to the content starting to load (blank wordpress theme).

Soldato
I swear by Simplexwebs. Even though their servers are in Manchester I seem to always get much better response than TSOhost and vidahost who are in Slough or Docklands IIRC.

Even pings are quicker which kinda defies physics!

Associate
Yeah contacted the support. It often takes 10+ seconds to connect to the site before it even starts loading the content, just getting fobbed about telling me its a plugin...it happens on a blank page index.html with the words "too slow" on it too.

Frustrating, the support is usually top notch but the speed is absolutely dire (for me at least) and it doesnt look like its getting resolved.

Soldato
Thread revival, I don't suppose you still work at vidahost do you? I've a hosting package with you and the speed is terrible, it can take 10+ seconds from pressing enter after typing in the URL to the content starting to load (blank wordpress theme).

share the link and let others test it?

I've a couple of wordpress sites on there and recently built one for someone else to host there, never had any issues with speed.

My issue is that my hosting has been with them a while now, they then did some upgrade thing to my account and it messed it up. Whenever I launch a new domain it doesn't appear for ages, then I remember about this issue, and then it takes me about 2 days to figure it out. It's something to do with server names if I remember rightly as I can't login to Cpanel from the main website by clicking the links either.

Last edited:
Associate
share the link and let others test it?

I've a couple of wordpress sites on there and recently built one for someone else to host there, never had any issues with speed.

My issue is that my hosting has been with them a while now, they then did some upgrade thing to my account and it messed it up. Whenever I launch a new domain it doesn't appear for ages, then I remember about this issue, and then it takes me about 2 days to figure it out. It's something to do with server names if I remember rightly as I can't login to Cpanel from the main website by clicking the links either.

It's a blank theme at the moment but the address is www.moddtech.co.uk.

It either takes forever to establish the connection to the server or kicks up a server error, I'm looking at siteground now as a new host, vidahost support is great but this speed is terrible.

Last edited:
Soldato
yeah, that's taking a good 20 seconds before it even starts to load the page and then another 10-15 before it's loaded.

Here's on I built for my wife over a year ago, it's not developed properly as we were just testing what could be done with ecommerce + wordpress: http://patternheaven.co.uk/

That's hosted on the Vidahost. I'd definitely fire them over an email and chase it up.

Soldato
yeh that is not loading / or very very slow for me too.

vidahost are normally excellent at solving problems, recently their support has taken a lot longer to reply , but when they do i find things get solved very well

keep on them to find the problem .

Associate
Cheers for the replies guys, it looks as though your pattern heaven site is on a different server to mine and yours loads perfectly !

You've actually restored my faith in vidahost as that pattern heaven site loads perfectly, I've requested to be transferred to a different server, be great if I can get on the same one as that pattern heaven one ;).

Last edited:
Soldato
The moddech link posted above is fast and responsive for me. Initial DNS resolution was slow but every single load after that is instant. However the routes are not traceable for some reason, dropping ICMP traffic perhaps.

The patternheaven link is slow for me. All page requests have a 3 second delay before being responded to. Quite rightly so because the routing is absolutely horrendous! Packets are being routed from London, to Birmingham, to York, and then back to London, lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
Scratch that. The mod tec site wasn't slow because of my DNS.

I'm still getting intermittent slow responses from the actual server. Sometimes I click a link and it takes 10 seconds for a response, and sometimes I click a link and it's absolutely instant (90% of the time it's instant though). I'm guessing it's an overloaded server trying to juggle between requests.

Associate
I can't run a tracert on moddtech.co.uk, it gets to hop 10 @ ae-1.ro3.londen01.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net (129.250.3.37) and then times out after that.

Back
Top Bottom