DON'T BUY MSI THEY MIS-SOLD TOP SPEC GT SERIES LAPTOPS with MXM Graphics

Soldato
Ahh sorry, I didn't catch that, so the card in the laptop is not upgradable at all?

On the costs, you know its much more than just VAT, worth keeping that in mind to stay credible. Same as the graphics forum always does with its American vs UK costs crap.

Associate
OP
Ahh sorry, I didn't catch that, so the card in the laptop is not upgradable at all?

On the costs, you know its much more than just VAT, worth keeping that in mind to stay credible. Same as the graphics forum always does with its American vs UK costs crap.

The GTX980m is the strongest available card for the GT72 2QE, so nope nothing to upgrade to at all. Those with GTX970m could upgrade to the 980m.

I have imported GPU's for laptops from the US before, well aware of import charges.

Soldato
Yeah, I'm only making the point about costs that its never a straight up charge for a company, yes as a consumer we can buy items but for a business they have other charges to pay, I'm sure you know what I mean.

I'm not trying to wind up or anything just trying to distil it all down to the key point. Seems to be for me:

"Advertised as upgradable for 980m owners but the reality is the 980m is the best that laptop can take."

After reading so many threads, costs etc, it gets a bit crazy. Its then hard for MSI to repond when so many people jump in with different things (me included :) )

Associate
OP
I know this isn't what people want but....didn't they make 980 mxm cards? I seem to recall they were mentioned when the initial marketing came out for those.

Yes, it's not the generational upgrade promised. However, I would consider one of those as an upgrade if offered as a very low cost.

Associate
OP
MSI Rep said:
If a private sale and a repurchase would be a more financially viable option for you I would recommend taking that route.

Taken verbatim from an email from Natalie at MSI.

Associate
OP
Anyone not happy with MSI's "Upgrade" please complain to the Consumer Ombusman - http://www.consumer-ombudsman.org/

8HLHmFx.png

Nothing MSI has done in regards to this matter has been anywhere near acceptable, make your voices heard.

I would like to point out that I have had no issues with overclockers, they sold me a great machine at a stunning price and they will continue to be my preferred etailer for future tech purchases.

Associate
I guess the neilreid email enquiry was ignored then. Have now sent the email to Natalie. Cheers MiSJAH.

Wonder what they will offer me coming from the recent Dragon edition :s

Associate
OP
So @Loki (MSI Rep on these forums), what gives? Your loyal customers do not have the option to upgrade the MXM GTX9 series GPUs like MSI advertised. The best offer from MSI I have had is to purchase a new laptop with a slight reduction in price, that works out to be around 3 times the cost of the MXM upgrade had it been possible.

Are MSI looking to lose market share, as no doubt, disgruntled GT72/GT80 owners will tell friends, those they game with, post on social media, share on forums about the ridiculous situation?

Penalising the customers that spend the most time online, in communication with others that like new (expensive) tech seems a little shortsighted, no?

First post updated.

Soldato
It's not cost effective for MSI they won't make much if anything from doing it. Tbh the whole idea was nothing more than a sales pitch that was never going to be an option.

Back
Top Bottom