Build check

Associate
Hi.

i know there are lots of build me a system threads, but this one is to check i have not done something stupid in my build. looked at other builds and made personal choices on some items.

Build is for general use, but also for iRacing. Single monitor only.
Don't need mouse/keyboard/monitor.
Have a 1Tb NAS drive in house hence no second HD, but also i have only used 170Gb on the one i have! (might use that as a slave drive.....)

Aim is to have a build i can upgrade RAM + grpahics + processor over the coming years. to max out life of motherboard + windows10

Anything in the build below that is total rubbish, and a simple change will make a big difference?

BitFenix Comrade Midi-Tower - Black
MSI Z170A PC Mate Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i5-6400 2.70GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail
Raijintek Themis Black Heatpipe CPU Cooler PWM - 120mm
Samsung 250GB 750 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps Solid State Drive
Kingston Fury Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 PC4-17000C14 2133MHz Dual
Sapphire Radeon RX 460 Dual X 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Super Flower Golden Green HX 450W "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply - Black
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit DVD - OEM (MS-FQC-08929)
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g)
OcUK 24x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM

Cost comes to £721 for the above.
Happy to spend a little more here or there but not £200 more!

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Associate
In all likeliness, unless you go X99 intel are going to force you to upgrade your motherboard if you want to upgrade to the newst cpu at a later date. You can upgrade within the same generation but it makes more sense in my mind to get just something better right now I would go for h110 board and a 6500 cpu instead.

Also got you a better GPU.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £728.91
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Associate
Roverno's build is better.

Honestly there are a couple of things you want to consider:

Kaby lake is coming. It's nothing special. There is no IPC improvement over Skylake. (No seriously look it up. No IPC improvement). So basically there will only be platform improvements with the 200 series chipsets coming (probably later this year) with the 7th gen cpus.

What this basically means is that you will be limited, on Z170, if that's what you go with, to 6th and 7th gen CPUs, at the IPC performance level that is already on the market.

You will be able to upgrade to at most a 7700K and that's about it. I personally see no point in buying a non K CPU with a Z board. Even if you are upgrading later. Why would you spend (example amount 200 quid) on a CPU now if you are just going to replace it with a 300 quid CPU in a year or two? That's just a waste of money in my opinion.

We are no longer in the socket 775 days when you could buy a motherboard in 2005 and still have new CPUs coming out to pop in that sucker in 2008 with a bios update. Intel likes to change sockets every 2 years.

So essentially, what I'm saying is this (sorry I just got up and this is a horrible convoluted and confusing post. I apologize)...

Get yourself what you can afford now. Upgrade things like the GPU and SSD later on, but not the CPU. Get yourself the best CPU you can afford now. If that's a non-overclockable i5, fine. Get the appropriate motherboard for it, and get a decent GPU. Say you buy an RX470 now. You can get a GTX 1260 down the road or something in a couple of years.

Something else you want to consider is that AMD ZEN is coming soon (when we do not know...) and that will have Skylake/Kabylake IPC performance at a (likely) lower price for = performance compared to what Intel is going to be selling. Also, if AMD stays true to form, all the CPUs all the way up and down the stack on the enthusiast end of things will be overclockable.

Associate
OP
thanks for the advice. obviously did not research the K CPU properly

i have overclocked in the past, but i am not interested in the last 1% improvement, so makes sense to get a H110 board with a increase in CPU.

Zen sounds interesting as a longer term option, but not sure if i can wait long enough based on my current system.... (AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+, with 4Gb of RAM, and an AMD 5570 graphics)

Back
Top Bottom