Project Dianoga

Soldato
It's been an ambition of mine to be nominated for years.

You got it dude, many congratulations again.

I can only dream of getting some attention on a forum, let alone being nominated for anything. Still, once I'm healed up and get some actual progress going on Asteria II, I'll be hitting up bit.tech and Custom PC too and see what happens :p

A custom plexi Pi project sounds cool too, plenty more for me to read :D

Soldato
OP
Thanks Lewis and LePhuronn. It's been a great day. Just this minute got home from a wonderful holiday.

Some stuff arrived in my absence and there wasn't a single red card :D that's handy, saves me 75p per item to get them delivered to the PO.

Going to take the weekend off (yeah, I always say that lol). I thought about it whilst I was away and I can not make the covers for the motherboard until I get the cooler off of the GPU and fit the block. So I really sorta need the block now but I have loads to do still tbh. The other night I experimented with cutting the LEDs as they are not marked for cutting but it turns out they have a continuous + and - running up the spine so it worked well. They were slightly too long to fit under the motherboard and I was worrying about cutting them.

Associate
Awesome, congrats on the win Andy! Bet it was even sweeter finding out you'd won when you didn't even know you'd been nominated :D

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys you rawk !

Normally I spend a large chunk of the day just reading build logs and catching up on forums etc. Since starting Elvis though I just haven't had time, so I've just been building. That's why I missed it lol.

Any way today (once the postie has been) is going to be lighting day. I am going to try and get most of the lighting ready to be fitted today (so braiding, extending wires, fitting connectors etc).

Will hopefully get the Killer NIC lighting up today :) Which reminds me, I must finish the light bleed cover thing.

Soldato
OP
So for today it was lighting. Mostly LEDs and mostly stripping soldering and shrinking etc. I also had to cut down four of the strips so they would fit under the motherboard.

Get out the extra wire and soldering stuff.

The first of many.

Triple LED cluster for the back of the bay res.

Almost there now...

OK so time to connect it all up to the test PSU.

I invited some friends over for the test.

And threw the switch....

High Five !

Time to sort out the network card.

A short while later.

And the vents that look super cool when it's dark.

So everything works great. This is my "completed cable" box. It's growing ever fuller.

This also came today.

This one's for you buddy.

Soldato
Nice. Tidy. Got the paracord out myself at the moment - PCI-E wires for the sleeving of. It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.....and since you've done such a great job of yours...! :D

Soldato
OP
Cheers. Gotta say I wasn't really feeling it today (but then being honest I don't really feel braiding or soldering any day lol).

I would say that about 90% of the wiring is all done now. I need to get a 4 pin fan extension though so I can actually plug the pump in, but most of it is finished.

I just bought a few small bits and pieces from the bay where the fleas live.

I got those to replace the old ones that are on the res and rad. This stuff here is for the 3 5.25 bays which of course are now blocked.

I will do something with that no doubt. I got this for the SSD that will be on display.

And I got these.

Not for my multimeter though. I am going to cut off the MM connectors and fit male PCIE pins to them. That way I can access more voltages from the test PSU and poke things like LEDs etc. So for example if I need to test something with 3v I just push the pins into the corresponding pins on the 24 pin socket and bingo, I have 3v and ground to poke an LED with. Or 5v, 12v etc.

Soldato
OP
Looking good.

You're doing underlit motherboard? Sweet. I'm doing under lighting with an acrylic light panel so I can get a 3mm edge around the mobo too.

Looking forward to how yours turns out!

Thanks. Yes I'm going to fit them under the board. I had a board called a Gigabyte Phoenix a while back with orange LEDs under the board and it looked great. I like coloured LEDs better than white ones to look at. White look better in photos but I love proper coloured lights.

There will be four hidden under the board, one hidden under the radiator and one hidden under the shroud. Then of course numerous single LEDs etc. But in all cases I do not want to be looking directly at the LED strips. They're pretty ugly tbh.

That's why where I can I use cathodes because they provide a more even light. Mind you, they're quite hard to get hold of now and quite expensive.

Soldato
You want to try Plasma Rods; they're immorally priced and only available from the US. Roll on import duty as a slap in the face! Wanted one to make a high-level brake light for my car that doesn't block out the entire screen.

Soldato
OP
You want to try Plasma Rods; they're immorally priced and only available from the US. Roll on import duty as a slap in the face! Wanted one to make a high-level brake light for my car that doesn't block out the entire screen.

Plasma = Nerdgasm. Have you seen that Raiden memory? OMFG. DO WANT.

Soldato
As it happens, yes. I saw one entirely by chance yesterday but didn't know what they were called. Haven't seen video, just stills. Having trouble taking the "Golden Finger Protector" seriously though...but perhaps that just says a lot about me!

Soldato
Is the problem finding/affording the tube or finding one that's waterproof?
If it's the latter, you could embed it in a central acrylic column provided it doesn't provide kick out too much heat. I've tried threading 13/10 acrylic tube for an Aqualis res but the thread gave under the strain at the top. If you got acrylic rod threaded that and drilled a hole in the top you could slot the rod in and keep it dry. You'd have to work out a way to polish up the drilled surface if you want it clear rather than frosted.

Back
Top Bottom