Home setup help

Don
Hi all;

Having issues getting the speed I need upstairs. Router is installed downstairs, when i plug directly into that I get between 130-140mb/s, which is great.

I home home plugs (ZyXEL PLA5215 600 Mbps) to transfer upstairs, but only receive max of 43mb/s up stairs. I know there's always going to be some drop off in speeds by going the homeplug route, but 100mb/s is too much.

So what's my options here? Upgrade the home plugs? Any recommendations?

5ghz wifi (virgin media customer here) gives decent results, but wouldn't know what product I'd need;

I have my homeplug into a a gigabit switch (TP-LINK TL-SG1005D) - would this hinder speeds also and also need upgrading?

Any products anyone would suggest, would be great :), thank you!

Soldato
Are the homeplugs are connected directly into the wall? (not via an extension lead?)

Ultimately it does come down to the wiring in the house, if it's of inferior quality then upgrading the homeplugs won't do a great deal.

How does the speed compare when plugged in downstairs?

Other options are laying down network cables, or splashing out on some decent wireless kit.

Don
OP
Are the homeplugs are connected directly into the wall? (not via an extension lead?)

Ultimately it does come down to the wiring in the house, if it's of inferior quality then upgrading the homeplugs won't do a great deal.

How does the speed compare when plugged in downstairs?

Other options are laying down network cables, or splashing out on some decent wireless kit.

homeplugs are directly into the wall, the homeplugs I have include a further slot, so allows me to plug in an extension, but the homeplug themselves are into the wall directly.

When plugged in downstairs (directly into the router) the speeds are fine, 143mbps down just, PC upstairs gets 35mbps.

Laying out cables isn't really an option - it's a new build, so not sure I'd be in the good books feeding cables into walls and through a floor!

Would the homeplugs I have be limiting my speed that much? There are 600mbps, which is old hat technology now.

What's the options when it comes to wireless and how reliable are they? I get constant connection with wired and wouldn't want dropouts etc

Soldato
Considering the homeplugs are on different floors they may have to travel between different circuits, some buildings have each floor on their own electrical ciruit, which can significantly affect homeplug speeds. I think Semple was suggesting trying the homeplugs on the same floor to see how much speed is lost when moving up a floor.

Don
OP
Just tried homeplugs in the same room and the speeds are much better; so need to look into a ireless solution (As wireless is giving me the full speeds currently).

What would I need, to get my PC wireless upstairs, with ultimately very, very few dropouts and stable connection?

Soldato
Have you considered external grade Ethernet cable?

Assuming the router is on the outside wall side and the room upstairs is too then it would only require a single vertical run on the outside. Providing no other cables are horizontally in line with the sockets you could drill a hole through the wall at such point and terminate the Ethernet into a new socket at each end. That would be the cheapest and best performing option. Once you have one cable run in place you could always place a small network switch in the room upstairs if you require multiple network connections.

Soldato
I use the 1000 mbs ZyXEL plugs and get around 600 mbs. I also have a set of TP Link plugs 1000mbs. For some strange reason in some places the ZyXEL work better than the TP Link and vice versa.

Might be worth trying a more powerful Powerline equipment.

Associate
Not the best solution but do you not have any phone line extensions upstairs? Its quite common for new builds to have master upstairs these days...

It's cable, not dsl. I'd run an ethernet cable if it's that important. Homeplugs and WiFi are not reliable.

Back
Top Bottom