Resetting on cold boot occasionally

Soldato
Just lately, my PC has started occasionally resetting before loading windows when booting from cold. It started happening soon after installing my new 1070.

It always loads ok the second time and once in windows there isn't any issue.

Any ideas what could be causing this? PSU on the way out maybe?

Associate
ive had the same issue the past few days, pc would boot up to login screen then shut off, then shut off after 2-3 seconds after that. turns out my cpu water cooler's pump wasnt coming on so cpu was overheating. Still not 100% sure its the cooler, motherboard or psu not delivering the power to it

Soldato
OP
Well, I've still got this problem :(

Installed a brand new 650w EVGA G2, still the same.

It all started soon after installing my 1070. Could the gpu be at fault? I've played witcher 3 and tomb raider for hours without a hitch.

I'm guessing it's a motherboard issue now.

Associate
did you check for a motherboard bios update when you installed the new GPU.
version 3802 seems to be the newest its been out since April last year but if you are on an older version it could be worth checking.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It is the cold boot restart bug on the P8Z68 motherboard.

Mine has done exactly the same since I have had it, I tried hunting down a solution but never found anything to "cure" it.

https://goo.gl/YVvfyW - has many pages on the subject.

Interesting, didn't realise there was a cold boot bug on this board. Mine has run for years without it showing up, then soon after i add a 1070 it starts. Weird.

Computer is running fine in windows but this cold boot reset issue is driving me mad.

Every time i think I've fixed it, it does it again.

Soldato
OP
Tried changing gpu to auto rather than pcie and next boot my mouse didn't work. Usb port the mouse was in seems to have died. Put the mouse in a different port and it works. Reckon my board is slowly dying.

Back
Top Bottom