Potentially bricked my MB and need a cheap "tide me over"

Suspended
OP
great news. you now have me scared to update my Bios on my MSI Gaming 5 board..... think I might just use the Asus hero board ive got sitting.

Some of it was definitely MSI.'s doing. Some of it was mine... too many changes at the same time masking the problem. In this case, the BIOS update along with a poorly fitting CPU cooler.

Back up the BIOS, only make one change at a time. And if the BIOS fails, use the guy I sent it to.

From now on, will buy dual BIOS and probably not MSI.

Permabanned
Some of it was definitely MSI.'s doing. Some of it was mine... too many changes at the same time masking the problem. In this case, the BIOS update along with a poorly fitting CPU cooler.

Back up the BIOS, only make one change at a time. And if the BIOS fails, use the guy I sent it to.

From now on, will buy dual BIOS and probably not MSI.
Glad you're sorted! Though as a general rule, you should never update the Bios from inside the OS. Always use the motherboard bios update utility, which most recent motherboards have, failing that do it with a bootable USB stick.

Soldato
Glad ya got it sorted, i wish they hadnt switched to soldered bioses when dual bios came out, it used to be quite handy keeping a spare bios for those occasions. Saying that i've only ever managed to kill both my bioses once so i guess its probably quite rare that a removable is bios is needed.

Back
Top Bottom