Just spilled whisky on my keyboard

Soldato
OK.

Whisky (St George English Single Malt from M&S as it happens) just got spilled over my keyboard (Microsoft Wired 6000).

My last keyboard died due to liquid spillage. What is my best chance of not killing it? A previous keyboard once died due to liquid spillage and I don't really want to lose this one.

The PC was turned off when the spillage happened. I've wiped as much as possible off and left it, keys down, on top of a radiator. Currently typing on my spare.

Any other bright ideas?

On the up-side - I sort of caught it and there was still some left in the glass, so it wasn't an entirely wasted dram.

Associate
I've only ever spilled Jack Daniels over mine so not sure if the instructions are the same.

But dismantle it if you can and give the insides a wipe over too, don't be too vicious with it. Maybe a good padding with toilet roll.

Caporegime
I spilled a bottle of wine over mine, ran it under the tap. Never used it again for a week or so.

Is fine now :)

In hindsight I should used some distilled water from work, but it was fine.

Soldato
I spilled olive oil on mt laptop keyboard, had to replace the keyboard.

Whiskey, as long as you leave i to dry out , evaporate, should be good to go.

Associate
Your keyboard will smell nice now. Unplug it, take the keys off, dry it with a towel, leave it upside down to dry for a week. Odds are good it'll be fine.

If it was just a junker membrane keybo, it's not a big deal if you get a new one anyways right?

If it was a nice mechanical jobby my condolences.

My clumsy friend spilled half a can of coke (not new coke. That would have been disastrous) on my nice MS natural keybo that I payed $60 back when I was 14. It was never the same after that.

Soldato
I spilt beer on my keyboard recently, it didn't work initially, but after a few days it worked fine.

If its a membrane one though you might have issues as the membrane is often made of what looks to be paper.

Associate
My personal go to for any dampened electronics is rice. As others have said dismantling it might be a good option here, I'm not sure how much residue whisky would leave when it dries.

Associate
My personal go to for any dampened electronics is rice. As others have said dismantling it might be a good option here, I'm not sure how much residue whisky would leave when it dries.

Agree with this, when I dropped my phone in wate I used rice to fix it, however not sure if it will work with whisky, it's worth a shot though.

Associate
Isn't part of the problem most drinks will leave behind a residue, usually a sugar based one with alcoholic drinks, as only some of it evaporates.

I would strip it a best as possible and dry it out and then clean it with a 'safe' cleaner (no Barry Scott, not here).

Associate
Death Star or Mount Doom, it depends on the day.
I own a Razer Lycosa and I spilt Oranjeboom on mine, a full can! I took it apart and cleaned it all. But all the keys were still very sticky. So it resulted in me putting it in the cupboard and forgetting about it for quite a while. Just before I threw it out, I give it a quick test. And as you can quite imagine, the keyboard fairies had been and supped up all the remains. I even use the keyboard today. The only draw back is my right shift key doesn't work for some reason. Stupid keyboard fairies.

Last edited:
Associate
Your keyboard will smell nice now. Unplug it, take the keys off, dry it with a towel, leave it upside down to dry for a week. Odds are good it'll be fine.

If it was just a junker membrane keybo, it's not a big deal if you get a new one anyways right?

If it was a nice mechanical jobby my condolences.

My clumsy friend spilled half a can of coke (not new coke. That would have been disastrous) on my nice MS natural keybo that I payed $60 back when I was 14. It was never the same after that.

with my last keyboard i took all the keys off to clean behind and when i put the keys back on some of the keys didn't work properly anymore, so i had to replace the keyboard

Back
Top Bottom