Budget Mini-ITX Gaming Build

Associate
Hello all,

Long story-short I will be moving to Australia in December. Currently, I have a mid-tower which weighs circa 10kg and is way too big too fit in my suitcase.

Now, I appreciate that I could just pay to mail my current machine or dissemble/re-assemble the parts when I get there. However, I've never really liked how bulky it is and I will be moving around a fair bit in the short-term so I've decided to sell and start-over with a fresh SFF build.

As it will be going in my suitcase (I know this is not the best thing to do, but I need the machine now) size/weight is paramount.

I'll also be taking a 27" 1440p monitor with me, so this is the resolution I need the PC to handle.

I also have a mouse, but would like a new keyboard if the budget allows.

Budget = £700 absolute max (ideally <£650).

Usage will mainly be a mix of gaming, light-office work/general-use, light photo-editing and some movies/tv.

Any suggestions welcome!

Spec away

Last edited:
Soldato
Instead of putting the new PC in your luggage - a seriously bad idea, BTW (1) - why not just put the PC in the box in which the case came? I assume you're doing that for the monitor. Before you go, you might want to check up on any import duty you might have to pay; it might be cheaper to buy your PC over there. If you do decide to buy here, take a look at the Shuttle XPC range.

What do you currently have that can be transferred to your new PC?

(1) What would you do if you saw luggage with PCBs and wires in it on the x-ray scanner?

Associate
OP
Instead of putting the new PC in your luggage - a seriously bad idea, BTW (1) - why not just put the PC in the box in which the case came? I assume you're doing that for the monitor. Before you go, you might want to check up on any import duty you might have to pay; it might be cheaper to buy your PC over there. If you do decide to buy here, take a look at the Shuttle XPC range.

What do you currently have that can be transferred to your new PC?

(1) What would you do if you saw luggage with PCBs and wires in it on the x-ray scanner?

Yes, I suppose I was being a bit naive. However, sending via international mail is an option if I can package securely.

Associate
OP
Just put it with your hold baggage. Be sure to fill the insides of the PC with foam chips and to mark the box with a FRAGILE notice.

Yes - well I suppose if I mention at check-in what's inside + ring beforehand then I should be fine.

Frankly, given the amount it would cost to ship it's worth the risk.

Associate
Yes - well I suppose if I mention at check-in what's inside + ring beforehand then I should be fine.

Frankly, given the amount it would cost to ship it's worth the risk.

you tell them what it is they will want to make sure its not what they suspect you are trying to deceive them about...

you could phone them and ask how to go about it. it is something that is likely to be inspected i would imagine.

Soldato
Something else you might consider: if you're stopping off en route in Hong Kong or Singapore, look into buying your PC bits there as they may be cheaper, and just take the HDD / SSD, monitor, and key peripherals with you.

Back
Top Bottom