Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 PCI soundcard turns off

Soldato
I have this motherboard https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-491-GI

Around once a day the soundcard will stop working, it still shows like sound should come out however does not until shutting down and re-seating the soundcard. BIOS is up to date 21/04/15 and I know the soundcard is not at fault as it worked perfectly well before. Its a Xonar Essence ST

edit - I have also disabled the on-board soundcard however 'high definition audio device' appears in device manager aswell as 'ASUS Xonar Esses ST audio device' I have disabled the latter

Does anyone else have this issue?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Is the molex plugged in OK?

Revisiting this because it randonly disables still. I hear a click and then get no sound. When I disabled and enable 'ASUS Xonar Essence ST audio device' in devince manager it starts working again. Sound never cuts out when sound is playing, just when I leave it so long - like its going in to lower power mode and cuts the power to the soundcard

Molex is plugged in fine. EVGA Supernova 850 G2 PSU. Onboard sound is disabled as is GPU and monitor sound output.

I believe its something related to my motherboard (Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7) but not sure what. I have read posts about people changing motherboard and the problem going away. A bit drastic doing that, seems like cracking a nut with a sledgehammer

Associate
This happens occasionally on my amd system with sound blaster xifi (pci). A sudden click and then no sound. usually reseating the card will make it last a long while before it does it again. When it does happen though I can usually just use the mode changer (game/entertainment) and the sound will come right back. Sometimes it will forget its setting and revert to stereo sound instead of 5.1.

Man of Honour
Since the Windows 10 anniversary update this has been happening to my pc with a Creative Soundblaster Z which I have made the default sound device. However, Windows keeps changing the default to Hi Def audio device which is on the gpu and delivers sound to the monitor via the HDMI lead. The only way I have found to stop this happening is to disable and delete everything else in the Sound folder. Unfortunately I was reminded of this issue when I updated the gpu driver and forgot to disable/delete the Hi Def audio device again. Fixed again now though. Never had this problem before the Anniversary update and from looking on Google it seems a widespread problem so it's about time Microsoft fixed it.

Back
Top Bottom