P8Z68 Pro Gen 3 cold boot issue.

Associate
I updated to bios 0402, enabled power on by PCI-E, but still, I have this intermittent problem where the machine boots, then switches itself off, then reboots itself, then hangs just after the BIOS post screen with a flashing cursor. Happens about 6-7 times a week

Is there still no known solution to this fault or is the board actually faulty?

Associate
OP
I tested the memory, no faults, and the same thing happened when I booted with the board out of the case with nothing connected. Really annoying, because it doesn't happen every time so it's difficult to nail down.

Permabanned
Hi

I have a few things saved in my txt document that might help.This is copied from various forum posts.

Not sure if any of U hav experienced a double splash screen from ASUS when you boot up. Some people are calling it a boot loop and seems to be inherent problem from the P67 boards

Glad to report after following numerous suggestions from other threads I've managed to solve it (on my rig anyhow)

Enter BIOS/Advanced Mode - Under the 'ADVANCED' tab go to 'Onboard Devices Configuration' and under the JMB storage controller disable the 'Display OptionROM in post'

This prevents the JMB storage controller (used for eSATA port on mobo) to report during post thus preventing it from interupting the splash screen and making it appear that it is loading twice.

ALSO GO TO BOOT and under OptionROM messages change from 'Force BIOS' to 'Keep Current'

Again it'll prevent from interupting the splash screen and shave off a few seconds from boot time, cos when your rig boots in W7 in under 35secs it matters!

To fix the most common additional reset (double POST when powering on from off state), enter UEFI BIOS -> go to ‘Advanced’ tab -> go down to ‘APM’, press Enter -> enable the “Power on by PCIe.”

May not be related, but..
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=690998

See the above... his issue was that Cd-rom was set as first priority in the BIOS. Try Removable first, SSD second, CD third. he also references:
http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-...tallation.html

In my Asus BIOS, you select a priority drive, either the ssd or the hdd, and that is the only drive that you can select in boot priority, so that's normal.

Found one problem, cold start would double boot. I had disabled the marvel and Jbm. Disabled the splash screen. Still had the issue. Did some research on the internet and found the suggestion to go into the bios and change the Ai Overclock Tuner from Auto to X.M.P., and make sure the BCLK is 100.0.

Associate
OP
Ok, thanks for the help so far lads,

I'll try

1 - increasing memory voltage to 1.55 volts.
2 - Change the force bios option.
3 - Ensure that SSD is first boot priority (I think it already is but will have to check when I get home)
4 - I do manual overclocking so I don't know if the overclock tuner will make any difference.

Associate
OP
Have e mailed asus suppport, I changed pll overvolting to auto (which is apparently disabled now) and still had the problem with it this morning. Have not changed memory voltage, that is last resort, but I've changed force bios option.

Have seen loads of posts on other forums listing the same issue as mine, so Asus will know the solution. Either that, or they will tell me my board is knackered lol

Permabanned
Well mate i dont have anymore fixes for ya and as far as im aware you wont find anything else really.I checked google for most things asus gen3 related.

It could be ram who knows i would RMA and see how it goes.Just make sure ya dont desert the thread as people will find this in google when they type gen 3 and cold boot so it would be nice if u can finalize if its settings or just faulty.

Associate
OP
yeah when asus e mail me back (usually get one in the middle of the night from an chinese tech support lad) I'll repost in the morning with their response. Ram is compatible according to the asus spec sheet, and I've ran super PI, Burn test, and Prime Blend all at the same time with cpu on stock to test it. Usage went up to 99% but not once did it drop out.

My thoughts at the moment are along the cpu needs more voltage for 4.6, 8GB perhaps needs more than 1.5 to get going at that CPU overclock. Unless of course, it's the force bios thing, which is might well be. Don't know. I don't see how something in a rig can work one day and not the next.

Permabanned
Come on Guys, how much longer is this debate of Asus boards resting gonna last?

There is no known cure, they just do it, It' an Asus board and we are told it's normal.

Don't believe it, just change the board.

Soldato
Come on Guys, how much longer is this debate of Asus boards resting gonna last?

There is no known cure, they just do it, It' an Asus board and we are told it's normal.

Don't believe it, just change the board.

It's not normal,care to explain why my Asus Z68/V Gen3 has no boot issues even overclocked?.....Michaeljcox24 have your ruled out your PSU?..even best brands like Corsair can have intermittent faults.

One last point how does your PC behave at default non overclocked speeds same issues?

Last edited:
Associate
i have exactly the same problem, it is annoying but i can live with it. Would be keen to find a solution to get rid of it tho.

Back
Top Bottom