PrimeGrid

Associate
OP
http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=6958

New Competition time :)

Welcome to Summer Paralympics Challenge

To participate in the Challenge, please select only the Extended Sierpinski Problem (LLR) (aka ESP-LLR) project in your PrimeGrid preferences section. The challenge will begin 2 September 2016 18:00 UTC and end 7 September 2016 18:00 UTC. Application builds are available for Linux , Windows and MacIntel 32 bit and 64 bit. Intel CPU's with AVX capabilities will be significantly faster than the ones without (including all AMD CPUs), as this instruction set allows for more computing power.

ATTENTION: The primality program LLR is CPU intensive; so, it is vital to have a stable system with good cooling. It does not tolerate "even the slightest of errors." Please see this post for more details on how you can "stress test" your computer. WU's may take around 6 hours on the fastest/newest computers and more than a day on slower/older computers. If your computer is highly overclocked, please consider "stress testing" it. Sieving is an excellent alternative for computers that are not able to LLR. :)

Highly overclocked Haswell or Skylake (i.e., Intel Core i7, i5, and i3 -4xxx or better) computers running the application will see fastest times. Note that ESP is now running the latest, brand new FMA3 version of LLR which takes full advantage of the new Haswell features. It's faster than the previous LLR app and draws more power and produces more heat. If you have a Haswell or Skylake CPU, especially if it's overclocked or has overclocked memory, and haven't run the new FMA3 LLR before, we strongly suggest running it before the challenge while you are monitoring the temperatures.

Please, please, please make sure your machines are up to the task.

PDW

PDW

Associate
So is the winner the one who melts most computers or the one who melts one fastest ?

I'm happy to give the whole Primegrid series of events a go next year assuming we top the Formula Boinc table this year but won't be doing much on it till then.

PDW

PDW

Associate
From what I've seen you will get better returns on Linux.
Not what I have observed personally, just what I found online :)

Associate
OP
i would delete all workunits that arent started yet as they take so long and wait till it starts to download any new

"Scores will be kept for individuals and teams. Only work units issued AFTER 2 September 2016 18:00 UTC and received BEFORE 7 Septemberl 2016 18:00 UTC will be considered for credit. We will use the same scoring method as for BOINC credit."

Associate
OP
Think I'll turn HT off on the big rigs as my clock speed isn't that high.
Anyone know if it favours Linux or Windows?

heres 1 of mine so far

http://imgur.com/a/5xL6S

5xL6S

Last edited:
Soldato
Despite declaring that I was going "all in" for this challenge I've decided to run just the big 72 threaded machine with HT off, so 36 cores, each running at 2.6ghz and it's running painfully slow, I'm at 22% after 13 hrs, I'm unsure what cpu instruction I'm running, usually it will say (AVX) after the application if it's the case. I will try windows after this batch see if that's any quicker.

Associate
OP
yer these are real slow, mine are taking over 24hours i think, tho i got ht on , i just cut cpu down to 60% so they should speed up a bit, 9 running. Hope they score high lol

edit: gone in bios and turned off ht, just doing 7 at a time now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom