Advice regarding G-Sync

Associate
I'm currently looking for a 1440p 144hz IPS monitor, and I'm wondering if G-sync is ultimately worth the extra £150-ish price.
The other option is the DELL S2716DG TN panel which is a fair amount cheaper, but still a tad pricier than a non-G-Sync IPS variant.

Any help/opinions would be appreciated!

Associate
I'm using a DELL S2716DG with a GTX1070.

When I run Witcher 3 with very high settings, the frame rate is mostly around 45 - 60 fps. Without G-Sync, that wouldn't look very smooth. With G-Sync it looks like it's running at a constant 60fps. So the extra cost (£150) gives me the impression that I'm running a much better graphics card (which would have cost more than £150). G-Sync will largely reduce the need to do a lot of tweaking to get games looking good.

As far as TN vs IPS is concerned, I did have a few doubts when I first switched from a Dell IPS monitor, but after a bit of time spent adjusting settings on the monitor and Nvidia Control Panel, I'm very pleased with the image quality of this monitor, and I'm not missing IPS.

Associate
OP
I did read up on that and it's a difficult one as it's all personal preference, but plenty of users have said that when the settings are adjusted correctly they resemble an IPS monitor which is a bonus.

Can G-Sync be used at a higher framerate beneficially then? Say if we're in the 120fps+ bracket?

Associate
Just dropping in to echo what Dervious has said. G Sync is a game changer for me, I wouldn't be without it or at least 90hz+ now.

The S2716DG is a great panel. Its not IPS but its damn close when set up correctly.

Associate
What happens if G-Sync is then disabled? Is there a notable difference?

I haven't tried as I don't see any reason to. I suspect that it would be like any other decent non G-Sync monitor.

Talking of settings, I spent a bit of time messing around with the settings on the monitor, in Nvidia Control Panel, and trying a few profiles that I downloaded. I wasn't totally convinced with the results and was wondering if this monitor is as good as a lot of people are saying.

This did the trick.....

MONITOR SETTINGS.

Brightness : 36
Contrast : 75
Custom Color R : 90%, G : 97%, B : 98%

NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL.

Use NVIDIA settings

Brightness : 50%
Contrast : 50%
Gamma : +0.90
Digital vibrance : +60%

Soldato
TN panels typically offer faster refresh rates, yet can suffer from colour shifts when looking at the screen from an angle. NOT something you're likely to do whilst gaming, hence the higher popularity for smaller outlay.
IPS are better panels no doubt, but not really necessary for gaming imho.

Back
Top Bottom