Moving on from 24" 1080p monitor

Associate
Currently I have an older 24" 1080p 60 Hz monitor from LG for my gaming setup.
I am thinking of upgrading it as a lot of the RTS and Moba games I play are more suited for a bigger monitor.
I don't play any FPS games at the moment, but that will probably change when BF 1 comes out, so any new monitor should also be able to handle FPS games.
I don't have any preferences in regard to TN vs IPS, 144 Hz etc, mainly because i don't know that much about it. But I do have a R9 fury on the way so it would be great if the monitor had freesync.

So where do I go? 1440p ?
Or are there any monitors that support 2560x1080?

I looked up some 27" 1440 p monitors online :
Acer XG270HU

BenQ XL2730X

Asus MG279Q
But only the Acer seems to be within my budget.

What would you guys suggest? Any input is welcome

Soldato
I'm the exact same boat as you fella. EXACT. I'll be watching this thread closely.

I dunno what to go for. I even thought 144Hz and 1440p were the same thing :o

I really don't know what to go for either :(

I guess Gsync is the way to go with my 980 but it's dear to buy a G sync monitor.

Soldato
My 2c as an avid dota player: Bigger is worse in these games. Tried 22'', 24'', 27'', 28'', 32'', and the smaller ones are definitely easier to work with as watching the minimap is more bothersome with bigger size.
Another thing I noticed, and this applies to RTS's too, the resolution increase is underwhelming. Went from 1280x1024 all the way to 4K and I was shocked by how little difference it all made, the only time the higher resolution helped was in Rome 2 because their unit cards are oversized otherwise it just felt like wooptie do, higher resolution.

Freesync/Gsync, absolutely lovely, but felt it made most of a difference only in particular games (especially GTA V for example) but not really for RTS/Moba or even other assorted MP titles (CSGO, PoE, WoW, etc.). Will be worthwhile for BF 1 though, as the previous ones tore up like a m'f'.

IPS/VA/TN, doesn't make that much of a difference imo UNLESS you make it a big deal yourself. When I'm gaming I don't really care but if I try to fiddle with settings and just mess around it's inevitable to start being bothered by this or that (though I'll say that this applies to all panels, just in different areas).

144hz, is pretty nice and the smoothness is immediately felt but it's nothing earthshattering. Made most difference in CSGO and while it helped with DotA 2 as well, it wasn't as major. Nice, but far from essential.
Ultra wide is cool, but its bigger impact is outside of gaming. For games not so many make good use of it and for mobas it's kinda meh.

My conservative recommendation is Viewsonic XG2401, but if you can stretch for something more then I'd look at Acer XF270HU.

Associate
OP
My 2c as an avid dota player: Bigger is worse in these games. Tried 22'', 24'', 27'', 28'', 32'', and the smaller ones are definitely easier to work with as watching the minimap is more bothersome with bigger size.
Another thing I noticed, and this applies to RTS's too, the resolution increase is underwhelming. Went from 1280x1024 all the way to 4K and I was shocked by how little difference it all made, the only time the higher resolution helped was in Rome 2 because their unit cards are oversized otherwise it just felt like wooptie do, higher resolution.

Freesync/Gsync, absolutely lovely, but felt it made most of a difference only in particular games (especially GTA V for example) but not really for RTS/Moba or even other assorted MP titles (CSGO, PoE, WoW, etc.). Will be worthwhile for BF 1 though, as the previous ones tore up like a m'f'.

IPS/VA/TN, doesn't make that much of a difference imo UNLESS you make it a big deal yourself. When I'm gaming I don't really care but if I try to fiddle with settings and just mess around it's inevitable to start being bothered by this or that (though I'll say that this applies to all panels, just in different areas).

144hz, is pretty nice and the smoothness is immediately felt but it's nothing earthshattering. Made most difference in CSGO and while it helped with DotA 2 as well, it wasn't as major. Nice, but far from essential.
Ultra wide is cool, but its bigger impact is outside of gaming. For games not so many make good use of it and for mobas it's kinda meh.

My conservative recommendation is Viewsonic XG2401, but if you can stretch for something more then I'd look at Acer XF270HU.

Usefull input, thanks.
Would you say a 27" 1440p monitor is too big for dota 2 and the likes?

Soldato
Don't think it's too big, depends on the distance between yourself and your screen as well. Think the 24'' works better when you're only about an arm's length (or one and a half) away, but the 27'' isn't too much bigger - I just find the extra comfort of 24'' to be better.

Last edited:
Soldato
Currently I have an older 24" 1080p 60 Hz monitor from LG for my gaming setup.
I am thinking of upgrading it as a lot of the RTS and Moba games I play are more suited for a bigger monitor.
I don't play any FPS games at the moment, but that will probably change when BF 1 comes out, so any new monitor should also be able to handle FPS games.
I don't have any preferences in regard to TN vs IPS, 144 Hz etc, mainly because i don't know that much about it. But I do have a R9 fury on the way so it would be great if the monitor had freesync.

So where do I go? 1440p ?
Or are there any monitors that support 2560x1080?

I looked up some 27" 1440 p monitors online :
Acer XG270HU

BenQ XL2730X

Asus MG279Q
But only the Acer seems to be within my budget.

What would you guys suggest? Any input is welcome

Don't forget 1440p requires more grunt than a 1080p from the gfx card, just because the screen is physically smaller doesn't mean a smaller card will enough to power it as the pixel density is the same whether its 20" or 40".

I have a 34" 1440p and text is quite small enough thank you very much. Can't imagine what it'd be like trying to read on a 27". I have a Fury X to drive it as its Freesync and it just about handles it, if I had Gsync I'd be looking at a 980ti as a minimum.

Personally if I were in your shoes I'd be looking at 1080p with a larger screen rather than a higher resolution. Unless you happen to have a 980ti already. :p

Last edited:
Associate
Would a non Ti...i.e. a 980 (clocked to 1400) be enough to run a 1440p screen?

It should do pretty easily, I have 2x 970 in my rig at 1440p and run everything I have thrown at it maxed out without issues.

I can't remember the exact model number for my monitor but I do know it's a BenQ one and it's a cracking monitor.

Stoner81.

Rom

Rom

Associate
Ive been looking into this, as im in the same situation.

I certainly dont dislike my XL2420T, its still pretty awesome tbh.
But I can see the attraction of 1440p, purely for the desktop space.

That said, im an fps whore, so then i have the issue of trying to run a 120 / 144 1440!

Associate
Once you use 2560x1440 normal HD looks tiny, it's like trying to go back to a 4:3 screen.

I don't understand how 2560x1440 can make "normal HD" look tiny.

I went from a 24" 1080P to a 2560x1440 monitor. The only thing that looked tiny was the text on the new screen and my bank balance, until I adjusted the scaling. That didn't help the bank balance though.

Last edited:
Associate
For me going from 24" 1080p60 to 27" 1440p144 G Sync the biggest difference is definitely the refresh rate. G Sync is fantastic too but looking at the wife's monitor at 60hz v synced looks slow and juddering in comparison. IPS is nice to its nothing special like OLED. A decent TN panel set up correctly is 90% there compared to IPS for me.

I think 27" 1440p144 would be where I would aim for, and if you can stretch to G Sync as well that would be well worth it.

I picked up my Dell S2716DG from overclockers B grade section for £330 and it is fantastic value at that price. They do crop up every now and again so keep your eyes peeled and be quick! When I got my 6 came in stock at the same time and all sold within the day.

Associate
OP
For me going from 24" 1080p60 to 27" 1440p144 G Sync the biggest difference is definitely the refresh rate. G Sync is fantastic too but looking at the wife's monitor at 60hz v synced looks slow and juddering in comparison. IPS is nice to its nothing special like OLED. A decent TN panel set up correctly is 90% there compared to IPS for me.

I think 27" 1440p144 would be where I would aim for, and if you can stretch to G Sync as well that would be well worth it.

I picked up my Dell S2716DG from overclockers B grade section for £330 and it is fantastic value at that price. They do crop up every now and again so keep your eyes peeled and be quick! When I got my 6 came in stock at the same time and all sold within the day.

So you think IPS is overrated?
I have my decided that it comes down to these 2 monitors now :

Acer XG270HU
Asus MG279Q

The Asus is IPS and about 30 % more expensive the the Acer TN monitor.
Is it worth the extra?

Soldato
I was in the same boat recently, went to 27" 1440p 144hz freesync and honestly wasn't blown away. It was nice for sure, but not what I was after and it went back to the store. I then tried a friends 34" ultrawide 3440x1440 and was completely floored. Frame rates were an issue, however (you want a 1080GTX really), so I went with 34" 2560x1080 and couldn't be happier. Everything runs at 75+ fps and it has the wow factor 1440p lacked. All down to personal preference of course, but the only monitor I'd consider upgrading to would be 3440x1440 and then only when gfx cards can run it at a consistent 100 fps.

Last edited:
Associate
Thinking about a 1440p monitor too to replace my 24" 1080p one. I was going to go 27" 1440p, but I've found a great deal on a 24" 1440p. Just not sure it's worth having such a high res on the same physical display size.

Soldato
I was in the same boat recently, went to 27" 1440p 144hz freesync and honestly wasn't blown away. It was nice for sure, but not what I was after and it went back to the store. I then tried a friends 34" ultrawide 3440x1440 and was completely floored. Frame rates were an issue, however (you want a 1080GTX really), so I went with 34" 2560x1080 and couldn't be happier. Everything runs at 75+ fps and it has the wow factor 1440p lacked. All down to personal preference of course, but the only monitor I'd consider upgrading to would be 3440x1440 and then only when gfx cards can run it at a consistent 100 fps.

I did the same. Bought a ROG swift, sent it back because I just didn't like it (the screen quality was terrible! My much cheaper 24" AOC g-sync one looked better). The gamma was off, whites were way off, the anti-glare coating was poor, motion wasn't nearly as smooth, it had ugly pixel inversion lines plus a dead pixel.

I've been looking at the 1080 ultrawides recently as they seem the best compromise of size and performance. I might even ditch g-sync because I'm not really sold on that either. Seems pointless for 1080 gaming.

Thinking about a 1440p monitor too to replace my 24" 1080p one. I was going to go 27" 1440p, but I've found a great deal on a 24" 1440p. Just not sure it's worth having such a high res on the same physical display size.

Actually 1440p on 24" looks very good. Due to a very high pixel density. You certainly won't need AA any more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom