Advise on if I am making a mistake please

Associate
Saved and saved and was SO excited for my Predator X34A and it locks to 100Hz and zero dead pixels (yay!). BUT..

1. There is quite a lot of backlight bleed especially in the left corners which I can't look away from currently.
2. Most of the games I play Overwatch and Dota don't deal with the 21:9 well at all (overwatch I did know would not work with the res before I bought it).
3. Movies look amazing on it but I won't be doing that at my computer desk.
4. for almost £1K I need this to be the most perfect thing I own as my last monitor which was a Dell has lasted me 10 years and cost half as much.

My questions are.

A. Did I just get drawn into the 21:9 when it was not really the monitor for me based on the above?
B. Is it worth trying to get it replaced for the backlight or did I already do really well out of the QC lottery?
C. Do you think I will be disappointed switching to a 27" after using this monitor?
D. Which 27" should I try out which wont have me sending 2-4 back till I get a good one?

Thanks

Associate
A. You don't use it for movies and your games don't support the resolution. If you can't find any other reason for the extra real estate that's practical to you then I would say 21:9 is not for you.
B. It depends how bad it is - maybe a photo would help us judge? However, if it really bothers you, perhaps it's worth trying to exchange for another.
C. What size was your previous monitor? Considering its 10+ years old, probably smaller than 27". It'll still present some wow factors but maybe not as much as the X34A. 27" 1440p is the sweet spot for most people on here.
D. Dell S2716DG. Its TN but apparently it is damn close to an IPS in terms of picture quality. If you're sitting and facing it sensibly, viewing angles shouldn't be a problem.

Caporegime
I love mine, and do play a lot of Overwatch, which like you say doesn't support 21:9.

But I play lots of other games as well that do support it.

If you literally don't play anything that supports 21:9 and won't watch movies then it does seem a bit pointless.

To be honest no monitor is really going to last 10 years with things like HDR on the way.

Soldato
Honestly try some other games i.e Witcher 3 at 3440x1440 before you get disheartened with gaming on it.

I'm surprised Dota2 doesn't work @ 21:9 considering most other moba's now do i.e LoL and HoTS.

I moved from a 27" Rog swift and I couldn't make the drop back down to that res now I've used 21:9 for 6 months.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses has given me more to thank about. I will post a picture of the backlight when I am back home and people can say if I am making a meal of it or not :)

I will try some more games also, thanks

Associate
OP
Any advice on taking pictures of backlight bleed? I took some on my phone but it like most cameras over exposes the light and it looks much worse than it is?

Thanks

Soldato
My Acer Predator XR341CKB 21:9 also have bleedlight bleed at top left. I did consider if I should send it back for a replacement, but knowing Acer and such problem being difficult to avoid on 21:9, I just decided to put up with it, as there's bit alternative brand at similar price offering the same level of features.

In terms of new games don't support 21:9, I think it is quite common for highly competitive games to not offer beyond support for 16:9 for the sake of not giving people advantage.

Soldato
If you're gonna be half-satisfied with something it's better to be half-satisfied with something you paid £300 for rather than £1000. Imo for your usage go for 27'' 144hz ones.

Associate
OP
With the overwatch change, I am in love with this again :p

The backlight bleed is my only concern now.

So I don't notice it unless the area is pitch black so in a film where you have a pure black background that stretches up to the top left corner. I can't seem to take a picture of it as it always makes it look way worse than it is so I found one on google images that is, almost bang on.

https://ic.tweakimg.net/images/member/original/1AUK7i3tE7Htg35.jpeg

Would really like peoples thoughts on if this is a "good one" or not as I really don't want to be sending these back and forth for different reasons if this is the best out there.

Thank you

Associate
If yours is as bad as the one in that photo then there's no way I could tolerate it for more than a few minutes. I'd be sending it back and buying something entirely different if that's the norm. Just my 2p.

Back
Top Bottom