Thunder bug in monitor!!

Permabanned
Just put my computer on and I have 2 thunder bugs that have died under the 40" iiyama screen!!! Just tried tapping the screen and using a sucker but they won't budge. Any other ideas?

Hope you get through this season without this happening guys.

Full_Size_Render.jpg

Soldato
I've had this happen 3 times before and you need to leave it for awhile then tap it down, try leaving it until this evening and when it's cooled off try tapping it. I find they decompose nicely :D

Permabanned
OP
Yeah so annoying. I was so lucky as well as I got a B Grade 40" 4K iiyama from OCUK and it had no dead pixels.

If the tapping and sucker doesn't work theres no way I can live with this so I will be taking it apart!

Soldato
Yeah it has happened to me before old 1080p, ROG swift, 4K Acer.

If they die inside just strip them apart and wipe it away with a microfibre. I've had to do that with a few of my monitors. Pretty easy to be perfectly honest.

As of now with my current panels I have all vents/holes covered with ultra fine mesh and it appears to be working well. Let's air in/out but fine enough to not let them inside.

Over the last few days have been thousands of them all over the place. Extremely annoying.

Soldato
..... This seems to be a common thing... im actually quite amazed that they can get in there. Surely quality production especially on something more expensive as above like a X34A you would expect it to be built well enough to keep bloody wildlife out.

Associate
As of now with my current panels I have all vents/holes covered with ultra fine mesh and it appears to be working well. Let's air in/out but fine enough to not let them inside.
I have found that they usually crawl inside in the small gap between bezel and exterior of the screen, not in the vents. Noticed one crawling on the outside of the screen recently, luckily managed to remove it before it reached the bezel. Light appears to attract them - don't make your monitor brighter than surroundings if they are around. They will notice the brightest light source from opposite end of the house and will be very determined to eventually reach it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have found that they usually crawl inside in the small gap between bezel and exterior of the screen, not in the vents. Noticed one crawling on the outside of the screen recently, luckily managed to remove it before it reached the bezel. Light appears to attract them - don't make your monitor brighter than surroundings if they are around. They will notice the brightest light source from opposite end of the house and will be very determined to eventually reach it.

I covered them up as soon as I got the panel. My panel is about 1 metre from my window. Had quite a few land and crawl all over the screen but simply wiped them away.

Luckily not had any inside yet. I hope! ;)

With regards to common yeah. Depends where you live I guess. Area I live is surrounded with corn/pea fields. Once harvest day comes there are thousands of the things all over the place. Even seen them get inside windows before.

I had 7 at one point in my old acer 4k. 2 of those died in the screen which I had to clean out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Powered up the swift to test and wow 5 dead thunder flies in the panel...

Still under warranty so contacted Asus a few days ago and replacement monitor arriving tomorrow. Must say very impressed with Asus on this one.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've had this happen 3 times before and you need to leave it for awhile then tap it down, try leaving it until this evening and when it's cooled off try tapping it. I find they decompose nicely :D
Mine have not decomposed at all and have been stuck there since last August...
I was also advised NOT to tap the screen as you can squish the things and they'll be stuck permanently.

I've managed to get a few out in the past by taking apart the screen. They usually sit between the LCD panel and the backlight.
I was also advised not to do this as the screen is so easily damaged and I don't have/can't afford a spare... I started doing so anyway, but only got the bezel off and couldn't see how to get any further...

Soldato
I've only ever managed to get those out of the screen once and I had to take it apart and knock it off the backlight. If it's between the layers of the actual screen though, theres nothing you can do and it will be there forever :/

The only monitors/TVs I've owned that I have not seen them inside of at some point are AOC. Maybe they just seal them better or I just got lucky with those.

Back
Top Bottom