Motorola Moto G - new budget smartphone champion?

Soldato
http://hexus.net/mobile/news/android/62009-moto-g-smartphone-sold-just-135-contract/
http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g-5831.php

It looks like Google have really up the ante:

Processor: Qualcomm made 1.2GHz quad-core CPU
Screen: 4.5" 720p edge-to-edge display protected by Gorilla Glass
Cameras: 5-megapixel rear facing camera capable of 720p
recording with 1.3-megapixel front facing cam
Connectivity: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, HSPA+ (but no 4G)
Storage: 8GB
Interchangeable back cover options

It also has a water repellent coating and 1GB of RAM.

The battery is 1950 mAh.

The price is meant to be around £135.

If you want to add some more storage I would get this:

http://www.meenova.com/st/p/m3r.html

Last edited:
Soldato
Up the ante how?

It's lower specced in every way bar the water repellent coating from what you have written there.

If it comes in around that price it's not going to be really up to much and Google will be effectively making the money anyway given they own Moto.

Associate
Look out for the live webcast of the intro of Moto G on 13 November. Moto sent out a Save the Date invite to journalists yesterday.

There should be a substantial niche in SIM free Android phones priced at £ 135 with those specs.

Soldato
It's lower specced in every way bar the water repellent coating from what you have written there.

If it comes in around that price it's not going to be really up to much and Google will be effectively making the money anyway given they own Moto.
compared with what exactly, I don't know of (m)any phones with that sort of spec for £135 SIM FREE (well it could be payg but it should be unlocked).... it's not very high spec if you compare it to a nexus 5 obviously but then it is over under half the price :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
There is no phone under £150 which will match those specifications at all in the UK. I also expect the price will hopefully drop a bit as time progresses.

Even the massively discounted EOL Nexus 4 phones were around £170 with postage. However,those sold out within a week.

It also appears to not use glass on the back:

http://vr-zone.com/articles/motorola-moto-g-gets-leaked-affordable-variant-moto-x/62390.html

Hopefully it will use a thicker layer of glass in the front than the Nexus 4.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Excellent value for money :eek:

Those that diss it prob own flagship phones...

My previous phone was a Sony X8 600mhz single core...the powwwwa!!! haha

I punched it into oblivion a few months ago :D

Associate
Excellent value for money :eek:

Those that diss it prob own flagship phones...

:D

LOL Yes, probably so.

Ah no SD card support?

Not a bad phone but 8gb just isn't enough, I barely have any games but Google Music fills it up in no time so I'm always getting 'can't update app' messages.

Which will be a problem I think. The OS is going to eat a fairly big chunk of that for starters. I had a Razr i and it used to suffer from that prob and had to occasionally have a clean up and it had 8gigs but had a sd card slot.

Associate
Moto G coming today! Did anyone see the leak on Amazon UK at the weekend, offering the phone for £ 160? The phone will also be sold in the US.

I believe the Moto G would be priced between Samsung’s two-year-old Galaxy S2 and one-year-old Galaxy S3 devices, without contracts.

The Moto G appears to be part of a Google strategy to shake up the smartphone market and sap some of the profits of rivals Apple and Samsung. Agree that we should all applaud this effort! By comparison, with its huge price tag, the iPhone accounts for more than 50% of Apple's revenues. This cannot last. Phones like the Moto G will cause prices to collapse to levels we can all afford.

Google is leading this charge. Tension with Samsung inevitable.

Back
Top Bottom