*** Motorola Moto X Style/Play Thread ***

Associate
Motorola's 2015 offerings :cool:
jxomZqv.png 2HW4r0B.png

Specs:
Moto X Play 5.5 inch
• 1080p Full HD (1080 x 1920) 403ppi
• 148 x 75 x Curve 8.9-10.9 mm - 169g
• Water repellent nano-coating (IP52 certified)
• Snapdragon 615 - Adreno 405
• Quad-core 1.7 GHz Cortex-A53 & Quad-core 1.0 GHz Cortex-A53
• Corning Gorilla Glass 3
• Front Mounted Speaker
• 16/32 GB, 2 GB RAM, Micro SD up to 128GB
• 21 MP, F2.0 aperture, autofocus, Colour Correlated Temperature (CCT) flash with dual LEDs
• Video: 1080p@30fps
• 5MP Front Camera
• Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, dual-band, hotspot, NFC, FM Radio
• Non-removable 3630 mAh battery - Fast Charging
• Choose from 14 different backs & 7 accent colours on the back

Moto X Style 5.7 inch
• 1440p Quad HD (1440 x 2560) 520ppi
• 153.9 x 76.2 x Curve 6.1 - 11.06 mm - 179g
• Water repellent nano-coating (IP52 certified)
• Snapdragon 808 - Adreno 418
• Dual-core 1.8 GHz Cortex-A57 & Quad-core 1.44 GHz Cortex-A53
• Corning Gorilla Glass 3
• Front facing Stereo speakers
• 16/32/64 GB, 3 GB RAM, Micro SD up to 128GB
• 21 MP, F2.0 aperture, phase detection autofocus, (CCT) flash with dual LEDs
• Video: 2160p (4K)@30fps, 1080p@60fps, HDR
• 5MP Front Camera with flash
• Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, hotspot, NFC
• Non-removable 3000 mAh battery - Fast Charging
• Choose from 18 different inlays & 7 accent colours on the back

Have a play: https://www.motorola.co.uk/motomaker

Release info:
Moto X Play - 25th August- £250
Moto X Style - 21st September - £350

Last edited:
Associate
I absolutely love my Moto X (2013) version which is still going solid today but the new offering looks ready tempting spec wise but the screen size really puts me off them as i have small hands so the screen size of the one i have now is pretty perfect for me needs, any bigger screen size it just becomes useless to me for daily use.

Soldato
If the Play had 3GB RAM, and was a little more compact then I may have been tempted. I'm not really a fan of the SoC either, it's merely a sidegrade from the SD600 in my M7. The Style is nicer but it's too large for my liking.

Associate
The Style looks likely to be my new phone. Currently out of contract on my S4 and had been waiting for the Note5 but just ended up being dissapointed in many areas. The Style looks like it fits the bill perfectly.

Soldato
Am sorely tempted by the Style as was interested in the Note 5 but Samsung have really ruined that plan after Thursdays unveiling!

It has stereo front facing speakers and an SD card slot so am very tempted although the battery is a little on the small side - my mate has a note 4 and that's the same screen size and having used it a few times it's not that bad.

Associate
Does the style and play have the same camera?

Same optics and sensor but the Play lacks the additional software processing apparently.

The style would be my new phone if it wasn't so big. I'm genuinely surprised they went so large.

I'd like to see a play in real life, the battery is a real plus point for me. Using a LG g4 right now and if it doesn't feel too much thicker I think I'd give it a shot.

Soldato
Dxomark really rate the style camera so would be nice to see how they rate the play in comparison, would be good to see a good camera is a £270 handset. I guess it's a waiting game for reviews

Associate
OP
Dxomark really rate the style camera so would be nice to see how they rate the play in comparison, would be good to see a good camera is a £270 handset. I guess it's a waiting game for reviews

Most reviews say its the 615 holding the camera back. 808 gives the Style the big advantage in the camera department.

Soldato
Style almost definitely going to be my next phone.

Almost ticks all the boxes - my ideal size screen, great camera, running pretty much stock android, can customize it to how I want it to look and some level of water resistance.
not fussed about the sdcard but its nice to have. would have liked a removable battery so really its the battery life which is holding me back from it being a dead cert purchase.
Will also probably wait til the new nexus's are released before pulling the trigger but I cant see them having such a good camera.

Soldato
Until the reviews come out my only concern is the lack of wireless charging. It's second nature to just plonk my Nexus 5 on the charger and forget about it. Plugging in a cable seems like a faff that's just not needed any more and I'm struggling to understand why Motorola ignored it. The lack of a fingerprint scanner is a shame for me, but it's way down the list of my requirements.

Other than that I'll await reviews for things like the camera.

It's probably between this and the Huawei Nexus 6, but I'm not ruling out the Note 5 or S6 Edge+ just yet.

Back
Top Bottom