Worth getting more than 2Gb RAM (Android)?

Soldato
On a flagship I'd be inclined to go with it but I'm thinking of a Motorola G4.

So the question is whether it's worth paying the extra for the G4 plus. Not that bothered about the extra storage because of the SD card, not bothered about finger print scanner, better camera always nice though. The basic one is around £160 but the one with 4gb ram is about a hundred quid more which is getting very definitely mid range.

What do you reckon?

Associate
I guess it depends on your usage. More ram helps with multitasking i.e. the more ram, the larger the number of apps you can have loaded in memory so they don't have to be reloaded when you go back to them.

Also, do you think you will install a lot of apps that are likely to run in the background? Things like antivirus apps, facebook, whatsapp, instagram etc will use up some ram. I think that gaming performance can be affected by low ram availability too. When I had a less powerful phone, I think it only had 1gb of ram, I found that if I didn't use a task killer to "kill everything" before playing a game e.g. temple run, then the game would be very choppy. My sister does the same on her moto g 3rd gen before gaming. That also has 1gb.

My advice is, if you think you are likely to install a lot of apps that will run the background but still want a good multitasking and gaming experience go for the 4gb model. But if you are a lightish user, then I think 2gb's will probably be fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
My samsung s5 has 2 gig of ram (some of which is allocated to the gpu). At first when I didnt use much smartphone functions I was pretty happy, but now I use it for email, anag, and various on demand usage apps, I am getting frustrated as apps have to be shutdown due to lack of memory rather than staying open where they were. My next phone will be a LG G5 in december when my contract is up for renewal which is a 4 gig device.

2 gig is enough to run everything I am aware of on android, but not great for multitasking.

Back
Top Bottom