• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Please help i used asus tweak 2 software and now have issues with gpu and games

Associate
I have an asus gtx980ti which was running fine until I had the bright idea to install the Asus tweak2 software. I tried a couple of the default overclocks then decided to uninstall it as card crashed. Now every game I play I get random crashes with blackscreen then pc re-boots. I think the software has caused the card to enter some sort of protection mode when its under load. Can this be reversed or is it likely card damaged. The pc runs fine just games are the issue so I am assuming its card at fault I am gutted :(

Help appreciated

Associate
OP
I have tried so for..

Did a reinstall of windows 10 from a back up image
Updates motherboard bios to latest
Updated gpu drivers
Turned off any overclocking on motherboard

I have noticed another issue i ran prime and although pc never crashed a core hit 90degrees under water i have also noticed some sort of gunk build up in cpu block so i could have a couple of issues going on. But is it possible software like tweak2 could cause it ? Thanks

Associate
OP
No never changed voltage would not dare mess with that. I have re ran prime95 with bios on default all cores started around 20deg and went upto around 72degrees after 15mins pc ran it fine. I can also run the free futuremark graphics benchmark without it crashing. But any game via origin or steam crashes within 5-10mins. Really struggling for a solution guys.
Thanks

Soldato
What PSU do you have, and how old is it?

Reason I ask is because your symptoms (black screen and reboot) are classic of a PSU that cannot deliver enough power to a system.

Your tweaking may have driven it over the edge.

Associate
OP
I doubt its psu but you never know its a superflower 1200w might be the 1500w cannot remember off the top of my head but its definately over 1000w so plenty juice.

Associate
Uninstalling the GPU tweak software should have restored the settings to default and removed the overclock. The only way to get them to stick is to update the video BIOS. Can't think how ASUS Tweak II could have borked the card in this way after uninstalling unless it somehow survived the uninstall process.

Perhaps you can reinstall it and ensure default clocks are set. If that doesn't work, clear motherboard BIOS to make sure it isn't something else.

Associate
OP
Tried that i reinstalled same version of tweak2 and it looked already set to default i uninstalled it still all games via origin and steam crash blackscreen within 10mins the games look and play fine and card runs without any crashes otherwise its got me beat :(

Associate
Are the fans running OK?

Might be worth running gpuid when you play a game and check temps and voltages (before you crash)

You could reflash the gpu bios but rule out other causes first.
A crash during bios update might l the card.

Associate
OP
Tried bf4 again crashes when action starts gpu temp from log max 64degrees I have the card in my water loop when on air it worked fine at over 80degrees when stressed. Going to try another borrowed psu tomorrow after work to rule out that.

Associate
ive had mine do something similer, atm it looks like its motherboard not doing something right, but it worked with my old 6950 when i swapped that in, but the 970 worked on another pc when i tried that. and my evga psu worked on another pc under load too

Associate
OP
Still got to make sure its a faulty card. I think the broken release of bf1 has damaged card as the crash with futurmark was easily recoverable and once i set it back to default it ran futurmark again no bother. I got blackscreen unrecoverable crashes with bf1 seceral times and since then no games now run :(

Back
Top Bottom