• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Going from 680GTX to 1080?

Associate
Hey,

MY current card is an MSI 680GTX and it has done its job, but its getting old now, and I want to build a second system for a family member who doesn't need as much GPU power as I do,

I have a couple of questions, has anyone had any experience with the MSI 1080 range cards, are there any to avoid, ive been checking out these 2 for now.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...dr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-322-ms.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...dr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-323-ms.html

Also this current system runs the i7 3770k will this CPU still be powerful enough to run the next gen GPUs given that its currently a few generations behind.

Not that it matter but I run 1440p currently and have not ruled out 4k, ( 3d is 100% out of the question due to medical reasons so its not a factor )

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
Your CPU is still fine so no problems there.

MSI cards are good, I've been really impressed with the build quality and performance of my 1070 Gaming X. Saying that, I don't think that the Gaming X version of the 1080 is worth that much more than the Armor, so I would stick to that.

Associate
Love my Palit jetstream 1080, clocks well and was relatively cheap at 589.99

went from a 690, you will see some nice improvements!

I actually bought the MSI armor first, sent it back, it didnt clock as well, no backplate and cost £40 more!

Soldato
went from 980ti to 680gtx while waiting 3 or more moths till 1080gtx massive jump if you going from 680 , you should be impressed by performance

Back
Top Bottom