• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

next gen consoles

Associate
So... clearly next gen consoles are going to have affordable top end graphics to compete with desktops. At least, that's the potential here with 14nm graphics offering 980 performance at $150.

Soldato
So... clearly next gen consoles are going to have affordable top end graphics to compete with desktops. At least, that's the potential here with 14nm graphics offering 980 performance at $150.

No they won't have top end graphics to compete with desktops. Depending on when they're released, they might be as good as 980 or not.

Soldato
There is the upcoming PS4.5 with improved hardware to deal with 4K gaming, and going to be relative as fast if not faster (because of async compute) to the 980.
It will sport an 8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1Ghz, AMD (improved generation) GCN 36 CU at 911Mhz, and 8GB GDDR5 at 218GB/s

On contrary the standard PS4 has 8 Jaguar Cores at 1.6ghz, AMD GCN 16CU at 800mhz and 8GB GDDR5 at 176gb/s
Also there is a new Xbone scorpio with 4 times the GPU

Last edited:
Soldato
There is the upcoming PS4.5 with improved hardware to deal with 4K gaming, and going to be relative as fast if not faster (because of async compute) to the 980.
It will sport an 8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1Ghz, AMD (improved generation) GCN 36 CU at 911Mhz, and 8GB GDDR5 at 218GB/s

On contrary the standard PS4 has 8 Jaguar Cores at 1.6ghz, AMD GCN 16CU at 800mhz and 8GB GDDR5 at 176gb/s
Also there is a new Xbone scorpio with 4 times the GPU

It's highly unlikely a Ps4.5 or any ps for years will be able to deal with 4K gaming. Unless it's settings to the floor and "cinematic 24fps". Just not going to happen.

A Ps4 struggles with 1080p 30fps never mind a resolution 4 times+ more demanding.

Regards to OP $150 in 10 years maybe. Even the Rx 480 is $200 for the cheapest 4gb model. Still not as fast as a 980.

Soldato
It's highly unlikely a Ps4.5 or any ps for years will be able to deal with 4K gaming. Unless it's settings to the floor and "cinematic 24fps". Just not going to happen.

A Ps4 struggles with 1080p 30fps never mind a resolution 4 times+ more demanding.

Regards to OP $150 in 10 years maybe. Even the Rx 480 is $200 for the cheapest 4gb model. Still not as fast as a 980.

The Xbone Scorpio and the PS4.5 are designed for VR and 4K gaming.

Soldato
It has been confirmed by Sony aswell. It may not be native 4k or even true 4k rather UHD and it will be upscaled to that aswell. Such as certain games on the xbone are upscaled to 1080. But I was exactly the same 4k pfft yea right maybe play 4k content but not gaming until Sony came and confirmed games would be 4k then I was like okay...

Edit- actually now I brung up the old page I saw it might of been clickbait lol. Trying to find the source where Sony confirmed it. Appears to be just developers atm. Nvm then.

Last edited:
Associate
The ps4.5 is designed for video playback in 4k not gaming and promising such would be a bad move.

The idea here is to get stable 1080p maxed out at 60fps.

IF they insisted on going for 4k gaming then the new iterations will be £700 plus.

Soldato
We are probably a good 10yrs from 4K Consoles, given the evolution of them, if the next batch hit 1080p 60fps constant, then the batch after will probably target 1440p 60fps, and then after that were probably looking at 4k 60fps, by then we will all be on 8K monitors at 200hz lol ;)

Soldato
Won't a 4k tv upscale a ps4 to 4k anyway?

My 4K tv upscales my Xbone films to 4K apparently, if i watch Amazon Prime or Netflix 4K i believe this is upscaled, the native resolution is still 1080p according to the input info on the TV but i believe the TV upscales the image to 4k.

My NAS however has native 4k output and my TV displays that as the input ratio also.

Upscaling though is nowhere near as good as native, i am waiting for an update for my TV to implement 4K Amazon and Netflix, then i can get 4K content straight to the TV without any scaling going on.

I doubt the new Consoles will be putting out 4K at 60fps, they might play content at 4K, but you wont be gaming at 4K

Soldato
I think the PS4.5/PS4K will play some select titles at 4K 30fps, probably some less graphic intensive indie games, Uncharted 4 or the likes... no chance.

Associate
PS4Neo wont have polaris graphics instead of the old one, they cannot have 2 consoles on 2 different architectures pitcairn and another on polaris, because they need to increase performance without having to remake the game for a completely new architecture.
doubling the size of the current chip is not cost effective, when talking about yield which increases the cost of the chip significantly, the obvious solution that AMD have been talking about more and more, is scaling the GPU into a multi-gpu on interposer, graphic leaks about ps4neo should be a clear indication to that, it's not 40% faster or 70% faster compute, it's exact multiplier by 2, and AMD have been working on solutions for multi-gpu.
and technicaly PS4Neo should be able to do 4k@30 with double the graphic performance

Last edited:
Soldato
Both the PS4.5 and the Xbone.5 are looking to be using a 480, with the suggestion that the PS4.5 is clocking it well under retail and coming in at about 4.5TF total with the Xbone.5 keeping it nearer retail speeds because they will have a bigger shell and a likly external power brick. Though nothing is certain at this stage.

They are both going to be capable of outputting 4k games if a dev wants to do so (more likely things like PvZ or SuperStardust type games). AFAIK the only mandate that Sony have made is that all games shipping from about October have to have a PS4 and PS4.5 profile and that those profiles MUST run at 1080 on the PS4.5.

Back
Top Bottom