Steel Series H or Astro A50's + Soundcard

Associate
Hi guys

I've watched the comparison videos on Youtube and i'm leaning towards the Steel Series H (aka Siberia 800) over the Astro A50's. But before committing, i wanted to ask the forum if this is a worthy investment? I ask this because I have zero knowledge about gaming headsets and their lifespan. Is there a new line up due soon or announced that may be worth waiting for? I prefer to make decision based on not having to change things too often.

Additionally, i'm looking to add a 7.1 sound card to my Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard. Any advice on what soundcard i should go for? (budget £40-60)

Your advice would be most helpful.

Associate
I have had my Steel Series H headset for over 2 years now. Not a single complaint, decent sound, great wireless, the most durable headset I've ever had, bounced them off the floor many more times than I should be allowed and they are still as solid as when I bought them.

I'll add the caveat that yes for similar money you can of course get a better sounding headset if sound is a factor.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That reinforces my decision!

Whilst I'm not closing the door, but, in my head I've kinda said to myself 'just get the Steel Series'

Soldato
For £300 you can something far better. Get something from a proper headphone manufacturer. Something like the Sennheiser RS series and spend the rest on a Xonar U7.

You can get the Sennheiser RS175 for £190. It will be far superior and also cover you for music as well.

Associate
OP
I suppose I should mention that it must have a microphone for gaming (which is what i'll primarily will be using it for). Apologies. But that Sennheiser headset looks sweet!

Associate
M8. I use a xonar and it's great runs all my headphones, headsets no problem. Just a quick one I recently bought a wireless headset. I narrowed it down to 2. The steel series H or th g933 from logitech. I think I got the wrong ones.....I got the g933. The reviews seemed ok plus a lot of reviews said th steel series lacked bass, which I like..2 months down the line I wish I had not bothered . The headset keeps disconnecting, I have to switch it on and off at least 4 times before the stay connected.The sound is quite good but another issus is ,what a lot of other people have mentioned is the sound volume...It is low. This is supposedly down to the updates on the software. Really wish I had bought the steel series now

Associate
Another vote for the H-Wireless. I got them free when I used to work there and I still use them daily. They have great build quality and the sound clarity is top notch. I advocate them even thought I was made redundant when they moved away from Denmark and into the US!

Soldato
For £300 you should be avoiding all 'gaming' headsets. Look at proper audio companies.

The Fidelio X2 by Phillips will be a great choice for gaming and will run without much amping.

The X2 will be sooo many times better than anything SteelSeries or Astro will make.

I cant stress this enough... do not waste £300 on gimmicks and 'gaming marketing'

Soldato
The steel series are great, I have them myself.

The only issue is that sound can bleed through the Microphone on some occasions.

My friend has the Razer Man O War's that he says are excellent.

Soldato
I have audioquest nighthawks and a chord mojo for music which is a £900 combo and still go for my steelseries H when I game - wireless and a rugged fit with great set of presets for gaming audio cues make them the best in class. Plus closed back so others don't need to hear.

Soldato
The bass is a fun party-time type bass. No sub-bass but great midbass thump and wobble for epic orchestral soundtracks for shooters or mmos. Think dubstep without the walls shaking. Think more bass than a Sennheiser HD series but less than a set of M100s.

Back
Top Bottom