Headphone repacement

Associate
my current headphones are sony hd-xb500, after many many years of use(including replacing the padding) they are nearing failure.

I noticed this after playing something with a lot of bass (dark side of moon intro) that i get a bit of reverb in one of the ears.

So i need recommendations please, i use the headphones mostly for music/video, however i do use them for gaming a little & international video calls. Also i prefer wraparound headphones, & i also get sweaty ears , so i would prefer non-plastic . But i suppose that cant be helped sometimes.

Sound i can have it various ways - DP monitors , front/rear mobo audio , even have a little generic USB amp (£10). I would even go as far to buy a sound card (probably USb or 2x PCIe)

Don't care if it's wireless or Bluetooth either. Only would worry about longevity - the Sony ones i paid about £95 that was in 2009 ish,so they need to be able to last.

Finally spending limit would be around £200 ish.

Thanks
Chris

C64

C64

Soldato
Phillips Fidelio X2 when they go on offer around £165-£185 not wrap around ear depending on ear size but open headphones don't cause sweaty ears as much as closed design.

The build quality doesn't come much better than the fidelios , sennheiser have replaceable parts but the prices are extortionate and you can never source them cheaper.

The sennheiser hd 650 need a decent headphone amp to shine , a lot of people also prefer the Sennheiser HD 600 those are bang on £200.

Plenty of other choices for less money too I'd say without spending on amp and good soundcard the fidelios will sound the best.

I have the sennheiser hd 650 and fidelio x1 have a fiio e6 amp and a schiit magni and using dolby headphone on a xonar dx and for me I think the fidelio x1 are fuller sounding probably because they are not as hard to drive so the schiit magni amp is getting them to their full potential.

You need a beefy headphone amp to get the 650's to surpass the fidelios but it's all personal opinion right.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Magni drives HD650s just fine, I seriously doubt that the E6 is up to the task though.

OP hasn't said whether they need to be closed back (keeps the music in and noise out) or are open back (lets noise in and the music out but sound more airy) an option?

Soldato
OP's Sony headphones are extra bass, so if he likes headphones with plenty of bass, HD650's aren't going to satisfy.

Sony MDR 1A, might be a good choice.

Associate
OP
I am more into sound range rather than bass, the sony's were a gift from wife. Closed back , wife does not like my music choices more often than not. :)

These will be purely used on the computer , still have to get myself an decent card & looks like it's going to be more likely a christmas gift to myself - stupid Pioneer UE 22 error on amp for home cinema is going to cost me the next 2 months money to replace.

Associate
Dude , I know nothing about headphones so asked a few questions and basically narrowed it down to 2 . I bought the beyerdynamic dt770s. The 80 version and they are great,the bass is fantastic I would recommend them to anyone

Soldato
Dude , I know nothing about headphones so asked a few questions and basically narrowed it down to 2 . I bought the beyerdynamic dt770s. The 80 version and they are great,the bass is fantastic I would recommend them to anyone

Good chocie ;)

What was your other option?

Considering you didn't know much about headphones you did very well could have easily of walked away with something crap like Beats or ATH M50X

Associate
Chap.I think my other choice might have been some akgs.Not sure about the model but If I remember correctly these headphones were highly rated but did not quite have the bass that I like so I opted for the beyerdynamics.

Back
Top Bottom