7.1 Sound Card Help

Soldato
Hi guys I was recently using the Asus Rog Xonar sound card till it died now they are EOL and ive heard a lot of complaints about the strix cards. I desperatly need a 7.1 sound card again to use my Razer Tiamat 7.1 headset its not a usb headset it needs a 7.1 sound card with all the plugs to use it. Has anyone got any suggestions please??

Soldato
You can get Unified Xonar drivers for the DX on Maxedtech.com. They modify the ones that Asus release. They have regular updates compared to Asus who only release an update once in a blue moon it seems. They aren't drivers specifically for Windows 10 though, becaue Asus and C-Media have yet to release drivers that are made for Windows 10. I knew C-Media were slow, but not this slow.

There aren't any modified drivers for the U7 though. They only do them for the internal cards for some reason.

There's the Asus Strix cards, but I'd steer well clear of that range. I've read too comments from people who have issues with Strix on Windows 10. There's the Powercolor HDX as well, but I'm not sure about that one; I've read comments saying drivers are slow releasing with that too.

I'd go for Xonar DX. The guy/s at Maxedtech do a good job with what they have to work with, even though the drivers aren't Windows 10 specific.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks Mars I was also looking at Creative Soundblaster Audigy RX 7.1 Soundcard know anything about it at all?

Soldato
I'd forgotten about the Audigy RX. It does look very similar in appearance to the old X-Fi cards. It's a got an odd configuration for the 7.1 output though.

7.1 is eight channels; normally these are spread over four jacks/sockets, with each having two channels. This card though has the eight channels spread over three sockets, rather than four; meaning that there are two of the sockets with three channels, and two channels on the third.

There are two microphone inputs and a separate line input. Such a layout suggests it's card more designed for music production use. It's got an E-MU processor, which also points towards that.

Someone mentions the odd 7.1 output configuration in a user review on the jungle site, and that a standard 7.1 configuration can't be connected. It could be if they included an adaptor cable set, but that guy's comment suggests it doesn't come with one.

Soldato
Yep, most likely. Other differences are; DSX Has DTS Connect, whereas the DX has Dolby Digital Live and Dolby Headphone. You won't have need for either DTSC or DDL, unless you are connecting a 5.1 sound system via optical, and Dolby Headphone you won't miss if you don't use stereo headphones.

Back
Top Bottom