Creative OMNI sound = erm pulse-y?

Soldato
Im doing a bit of experimenting with various Soundcard options here, and one device I have, is the Creative OMNI which is a USB sound device.

Now, it has a funky issue, that is quite annoying, in that the volume kind of goes up and down at times.

Its hard to describe, so bear with me, but if I am listening to a track, that is pretty much flat, or does not go up and down in the sounds it plays, then its great.

The bass sounds are great and strong, the higher ranges are crisp and crystal clear, and the mid-range is clear as a bell... All the rough the scale, any sound is flawless.

The problem lies, in when I have a track playing that has a great mix of all ranges, and then the track suffers... For example, lets say the hihats are playing a constant ts-ts-ts-ts-ts-ts ( I know I know, but like I said... Bear with me ) but then a bass line comes in, then, instead of the hats giving a TS TS sound, it goes more like a PF PF PF... ait there is not enough power in the device to keep playing the clear sounds and the whole lot ends up muffled, and so if there is a bass drum beat, then the muffled sound gets worse on the beat, but then clears up as the bass drum sdound goes away and then comes muffled again on the kick... It kind of pulses like this as if someone is turning the dial up and down like an idiot in time with the beat!

I hope I have explained it enough, but its kind of piddling me off.

I have always had great sound with my PC and things have gone hugely downhill since moving to Windows 10, with my Recon3D starting to fail, then I got the Asus Strix and thats been a whore to me too, hence getting the OMNI.

I also have a load of cheap and nasty USB Dongle sound devices and a coupel of those are giving off a near-perfect sound, and its sad when they are providing a better quality sound than ASUS or CREATIVE devices.

Does anyone know what I can try to clear this up? Surely its not a badly designed device?

I have of course tried various USB ports on the motherboard, both USB 2 and 3 and also I have tried a USB 3 PCIE Card too, but thats not helped.

The drivers that I have tried, are only the Ones on the CD, and I have downloaded the drivers on the Creative site, and those are named :-

SBOM_PCDRV_L13_1_01_07.EXE

Now, one final thing to mention, but I have tried the Omni device on a Laptop, and through the same speakers that I am using for my main PC, and the same headphones, and the sound seems fine. This is under Windows 8.1/64Bit

Thanks for anything that may help me!

Back
Top Bottom