New Cans Required

Soldato
These will be used for gaming, I have £200 to spend and just wanted to know what I can get for my money.

I have seen some AKG 7xx and 712Pro for around the same money, which seem to have good reviews.

Anything else out there for the money?

Cheers

Soldato
Yep, when it comes to gaming there is very little that can compete with the AKG 700 series.

Some of the Audio-technicas have an even bigger sound stage but that comes at a cost of having no bass whatsoever.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the replies.

Just stuck on the choice of the 7XX or the K712 Pro.

The 7XX are available on Massdrop for $224 including shipping, but I'll not receive them for another 6 weeks :(

Where as the K712 are available now and for the same price.

Are the 7XX worth the wait ???

Soldato
Get the K712. Problem with Massdrop I that if you need to return them it is a pain the derriere.

AKG have a UK repair / warranty centre but only covers UK purchases

Soldato
Loved my K712 very good all-rounder but ended up being sold as they don't fit my small head correctly.

Replaed with HD600 which was a really noticeable upgrade for music and comfort but a downgrade for gaming

Soldato
OP
Nice. What are your impressions?

Always wanted to try some K712's. Had some Q701's and some K550 MK2's before.

Im quite blown away by how good these are. Really comfortable to wear for long periods, and im hearing new sounds in games which I never knew was there before.

Best cans, ive ever owned, wouldn't hesitate in recommending these to anyone.

Man of Honour
Loved my K712 very good all-rounder but ended up being sold as they don't fit my small head correctly.

Replaed with HD600 which was a really noticeable upgrade for music and comfort but a downgrade for gaming

I like my HD600s for single player stuff, etc. especially if the game has really good sound mastery and a great soundtrack - but for multiplayer gaming I just don't find they have enough separation or speed - I find headphones that have what is probably artificial separation much better.

Associate
I like my HD600s for single player stuff, etc. especially if the game has really good sound mastery and a great soundtrack - but for multiplayer gaming I just don't find they have enough separation or speed - I find headphones that have what is probably artificial separation much better.

Yeah I get what you mean. For games I find headphones that would otherwise sound artificial for music to sound more correct for gaming, like they need that unnaturally large stage to sound like you are actually in an open space(for certain games.

I think the HD600/HD650 do very well for games like The Last Of Us, Final Fantasy and The Tales series while the AKG variants do better for games like The Witcher, GTA and FPS's. I would rather listen to dialog and the soundtrack in The Witcher on the HD600 series mind you.

The HD800 gives me the best of both worlds.

Back
Top Bottom