The near future of F1 is looking dull..

Soldato
This hasn't been any different to the V8 and V10 era. Broadcast microphones don't capture what peoples devices did when they were in the stands/hilly areas.

I remember friends taking video cameras to races in the V10 era and I was shocked how different they sounded compared to broadcast.

Indeed, but there are accusations being levelled at Bernie that he's deliberately hobbling the broadcast sound of the V6 turbos.

For balance, here are the V8s from Istanbul 2011. Deafening but completely lacking in character. The only thing I miss is being able to hear them from 2 miles away.

smr

smr

Soldato
Shock as team principal of the team with not the best aero engineers doesn't want new aero rules, and the team principal of the team with the best aero engineers does want new aero rules :p

Not neccessarily... He's saying that in the non too distant future the other manufacturers are going to catch up with Merc's PU... if those teams have better aero - (RB arguably have the best chassis on the grid) then they'll overtake Merc.

But then again with the 2017 rule changes Merc would be at risk of another team making a better car as the regulations would be so different that another team may ace them.

Caporegime
Qualifying is so boring r I put the snooker on last week.

I actually watched the BTCC for the first time in a decade and never bothered with the F1 on the 16/17th. BTCC is actually not that bad these days infact it is having a little renaissance but without a doubt we as television viewers were spoilt for choice when it came to motorsport in the 90's. Even when Shuey was dominating in 90's/00's it was fun to watch. I have no connection what so ever to Hamilton or Rosberg. Still remember when Schumacher equalled senna's win tally at monza he was so emotional. Hamilton and Vettal were just meh.

I guess for me personally the only two drivers I really follow are Alonso and Button. Seeing them do so badly kind of makes it hard for me to watch. They are really the last of a breed of F1 drivers we will never see any more. The new generation are more interested in Twitter and their ear rings rather than the down and dirty of setting up a car or getting mucky with their hands.

Soldato
So what I miss is below, put your speaker volume up and listen to them cars onboard and from a bystander POV. Watching on TV with Murry Walker was also delightful he bought so much entertainment to the sport.
They need to get back to this...

Child hood memories of a Sunday afternoon, my grandad smoking his pipe after Sunday lunch, Murry Walker shouting "I have a lump in my throat" as Hill wins.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom