F1 grid mix up.

Soldato
OP
Maybe STR will take Saubers engine as it looks like they may not be around much longer, unless Alfa turn up.

Gone off topic a bit so how should F1 spice up non race days? I'm thinking of starting to watch WEC, but I think those are a bit too long and would need some better presentation and more air time. I watched some WTC the other day, wow that was boring a stream of looky likey cars.
Maybe differnt classes in F1 like WEC, based on budget spend or power limitations. It could create more overtakes (and possibly collisions).
Andi.

Soldato
Maybe they could just combine the fields of F1 and GP2 :D

Manor and Sauber could then drop back to GP2 with lower cost whilst still having the visibility of F1 marketing.

You could also have it so the GP2 race on Saturday decides grid for Sunday, like pre-qualifying which would answer the people saying Saturdays are boring and pointless.

Caporegime
Saturdays are great. F1 Practice, Prosches/GP3/GP2/F1 Qualifying, and Porsches/GP3/GP2 races.

F1 has run with combined F1 and F2 grids before. I'm not sure I'd want to see it now though.

I will stand by the 2 things I have always suggested when stuff like this comes up:

1) De-couple Qualifying and the Race to prevent the grid lining up pretty much in race pace order.
2) Allow customer chassis and change the Constructors Championship into a Teams Championship. Haas have proved this would work (they build almost nothing themselves).

Soldato
Saturdays are great. F1 Practice, Prosches/GP3/GP2/F1 Qualifying, and Porsches/GP3/GP2 races.

Really :confused:

Code:
F1 calendar          GP2                GP3

Australia            No                 No            
Bahrain              No                 No
China                No                 No
Russia               No                 No
Spain                Yes                Yes
Monaco                Yes                No
Canada                No                  No
Baku                 Yes                No
Austria              Yes                Yes
Britain               Yes                Yes
Hungary               Yes                Yes
Germany               Yes                Yes
Belgium               Yes                 Yes
Italy                 Yes                 Yes
Singapore             No                   No
Malaysia              Yes                 Yes
Japan                 No                  No
USA                   No                  No
Mexico                No                   No
Brasil                No                   No
Abu Dhabi             Yes                 Yes

11/21              9/21

I don't know about the Porsche calendar, but really, only half the F1 season has support races televised on Sky, so I would not say Saturdays are great at all.

I think there were other support races in Russia, but none were televised on Sky.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I was specifically referring to fans track side, as the "people saying Saturdays are boring and pointless" are the Race Promoters, who are primarily interested in ticket sales.

Very few of the races run unsupported by at least something.

Soldato
OP
I was specifically referring to fans track side, as the "people saying Saturdays are boring and pointless" are the Race Promoters, who are primarily interested in ticket sales.

Very few of the races run unsupported by at least something.

This is true. Some actual racing on practice and quali days might help attendances. Bring some WEC along ;) Lets see how a real hybrid car goes in comparison.

Yes I know last year WEC was 20 seconds a lap slower but I'd be interested what an F1 car would do over 6 hours.
Andi.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom