Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
2, 5, 10 - they'll design to that limit and push it as much as possible. If they get it right they win, if they get it wrong they get penalties. Nature of the sport.

Soldato
2, 5, 10 - they'll design to that limit and push it as much as possible. If they get it right they win, if they get it wrong they get penalties. Nature of the sport.

But it is not just about design though. The engine change rules do not take into account when a driver is forced to change due to an accident, like the one Alonso had in Aus.
Have a couple of bad accidents early in the season and you are penalised by round 3 :rolleyes:
At least with 4/5 you would have to have a lot of accidents before penalties.

Soldato
To be fair it's going to be rare where an engine requires a change due to an accident. Other than Alonso the only one which immediately pops into my head is Bianchi (sadly not for Bianchi of course). There will be other instances but I can't recall any right now.

Soldato
That crash was insane, amazing no one died.

2 engines per driver seems crazy to me.

Alonso had a new one straight away in Aus this year and also last year when Kimi and he crashed. Engines are changed almost immediately after a crash, impossible to say that the engine isnt damaged without taking it to bits.

Caporegime
They have to apply the restriction to crashes otherwise people would just abuse it.

It would be very easy to fake needing a new engine after a crash or other damage. "Hi Jean, yeah you will never guess what happened, we dropped the car when unloading it at the factory. The engines totally broke, can we have a new one without penalty please?"

Soldato
https://imgur.com/zyAvDUe

Will post a link, as I've no idea how the imgur app works these days, to resize my own images...
Was caught out in that hailstorm, trackside yesterday. Was genuinely sore for the 10/20 minutes it came down for!
My jacket failed the waterproof test during this. :(

I don't envy you! Saw some footage of the Audi 2 I think going at like 5 mph crabbing sideways round the circuit during it. Rene Rast put up a photo of the hailstones too! Looked mental.

Soldato
Advantages:

I have never liked the first chicane in any of it's incarnations.
Good to see the return of gravel. Less chance of gaining time "accidentally" ;)

Disadvantages:

Changing the Curva Grande is a bit of a downer, as that has been quite good fun in the last few years with balls-out overtakes around the outside.

Back
Top Bottom