Chinese Grand Prix 2016, Shanghai - Race 3/21

Man of Honour
F5bSjL0.png

Shanghai

The Shanghai International Circuit was designed as the race circuit for the new millennium. And the modern track, with its stunning architecture, has achieved its goal of becoming China's gateway to the world of Formula One racing since it debuted on the calendar in 2004.

Circuit architects Hermann Tilke and Peter Wahl on their creation: “The 5.4 kilometre racing track is shaped like the Chinese character 'shang', which stands for 'high' or 'above'.

Other symbols represented in the architecture originate from Chinese history, such as the team buildings arranged like pavilions in a lake to resemble the ancient Yuyan-Garden in Shanghai. Here, nature and technology are carefully used to create harmony between the elements.”

Not only is the course remarkable for its change of acceleration and deceleration within different winding turns, making high demands on the driver as well as the car, but also for its high-speed straights. These offer crucial overtaking opportunities and give an intense and exciting motorsport experience to the spectators. The main grandstand with 29,000 seats provides a spectacular view of almost 80 percent of the circuit.

TV Times

Sky:
4XdUuYk.png

C4:
SzvxLKQ.png

Track Diagram & Information

NPkDwkq.png

Weather Forecast

h6hHE04.png

2015 Onboard Lap

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/video/2015/4/Onboard_pole_position_lap_-_China.html

2015 Race Edit

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/video/2015/4/Race_edit_-_China_2015.html

Tyre Set Selections Per Driver - China

WvHkZ76.png

China Preview Quotes

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/headlines/2016/4/china-preview-quotes.html

WDC Standings

Gkh63Gk.png

Constructors' Championship Standings

qUYBUbz.png

Pole Positions & Winners Per Grand Prix
jt4tpLu.png

Practice 1

Cg0rgUx.png

Practice 2

obyzWuw.png

Practice 3

M9fMvPR.png

Qualifying

PNE9GdQ.png

Race

hMiesXs.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm intrigued to find out what the thinking is behind the tyre choice for some of the drivers. I hope Sky pick up on it and send Ted off to find out.

smr

smr

Soldato
Sort of doesn't feel like the season started properly with all the farcical qualifying and politics lately - anyone else feel a bit like that?

It'll be very nice to go back to the normal qually format this weekend.

Caporegime
Yeah, its been a massive shame that the cloud of qualifying has diverted attention away from what has been 2 very good races.

Hopefully that doesn't happen this weekend. There was an interesting piece on Autosport from Paddy Lowe about the tyres here. This is the first time the Super Softs have been used at China, and they are softer than previous years too. He is predicting pit stops within 5 laps for the top 10 who will likely be starting on Super Softs that were used in Q2.

That creates 2 possible interesting situations. First, does anyone get brave and try and make it through Q2 on Softs (doubtful really, except for maybe Mercedes). And secondly, 5 laps isn't much time to build up a lead, meaning the top 10 could be pitting and dropping back into a still quite congested midfield quite early in the race. Whoever qualified 11th could be leading the race come lap 10...

smr

smr

Soldato
And that's ^ what we should be talking about, not politics or off-track things but how a good qualifying format and a new tyre rule/compound may shake up the racing. Looking forward to a good Qually session and Race.

Caporegime
I don't know exactly when as I can't be bothered with the maths, but the teams need to choose their tyre selection 14 weeks in advance of fly away races and 8 weeks in advance of European races.

Soldato
That creates 2 possible interesting situations. First, does anyone get brave and try and make it through Q2 on Softs (doubtful really, except for maybe Mercedes). And secondly, 5 laps isn't much time to build up a lead, meaning the top 10 could be pitting and dropping back into a still quite congested midfield quite early in the race. Whoever qualified 11th could be leading the race come lap 10...

If it is as wet in qually as that looks, I doubt anyone will be using dry tyres in qually at all, so that idea goes out the window :(

Soldato
Alonso won't know if the FIA will allow him to race this coming weekend until at least Thursday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/36027731

I hope the weather forecast (rain) for qualifying is wrong and drivers have free compound choice, because it has the potential to really mix things up in the race. If they have to use inters or wets during Q2, I think all Q3 drivers have free choice for the race start, not just those knocked out in Q2 and Q1.

Soldato
Alonso won't know if the FIA will allow him to race this coming weekend until at least Thursday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/36027731

I hope the weather forecast (rain) for qualifying is wrong and drivers have free compound choice, because it has the potential to really mix things up in the race. If they have to use inters or wets during Q2, I think all Q3 drivers have free choice for the race start, not just those knocked out in Q2 and Q1.

I think I'd rather see SVD drive again just to see how he compares to JB.

Soldato
He's been posting stuff on Twitter and Instagram for 2 weeks showing him training and even playing golf!

Something's not right (hint: he doesn't want to be in the car) if he doesn't race this weekend, I can't see why the FIA would stop him if McLaren were allegedly pushing for him to race in Bahrain and thought he was OK then.

Caporegime
Alonso raised the concerns to the FIA. The FIA said no. Alonso said cool, I'll chill in the garage.

Then Button stuck it up the top of the timesheets on Friday.

Suddenly Ron is asking the FIA to reconsider now that the car looks good. They say no still.

Then it goes pop 10 laps into the race.

Alonso is back to not really caring and enjoying playing golf.

Coincidence? :p. His desire to be in the car does seem to correlate to its performance :)

Soldato
Alonso raised the concerns to the FIA. The FIA said no. Alonso said cool, I'll chill in the garage.

Then Button stuck it up the top of the timesheets on Friday.

Suddenly Ron is asking the FIA to reconsider now that the car looks good. They say no still.

Then it goes pop 10 laps into the race.

Alonso is back to not really caring and enjoying playing golf.

Coincidence? :p. His desire to be in the car does seem to correlate to its performance :)

I think you've taken a healthy dose of selective artistic licence there.

Back
Top Bottom