What is the world coming to...

Caporegime
Having been in a situation where blue badge holders haves parked in parent and child spaces with young children I found it very frustrating.

It's the difficulty of getting a young child out of/into a car in spaces that are narrow/people park poorly in that causes so much frustration.

I don't think they should be allowed to park in such spaces.

Caporegime
Oh and to the OP, if you were dropping your nan off and waiting in the car did you really need to take up a disabled space? Or did you just think sod it, I've got her badge why not.....just think your actions lead to the ww2 vet being abused by a benefit scrounger.

Soldato
Having been in a situation where blue badge holders haves parked in parent and child spaces with young children I found it very frustrating.

It's the difficulty of getting a young child out of/into a car in spaces that are narrow/people park poorly in that causes so much frustration.

I don't think they should be allowed to park in such spaces.

Given children are smaller than adults shouldn't it be logistically easier?

Besides on what basis should disabled people (who cannot help their situation) be superseded by parents (who chose their situation)?

Caporegime
Besides on what basis should disabled people (who cannot help their situation) be superseded by parents (who chose their situation)?

That's massively oversimplifying things. It's like the argument people make about smokers should have to pay for treatment because they did it to themselves, yet you could say the same about anyone who was taking part in something without a gun to their head. A large number of disabilities will be due to the result of a decision.

Caporegime
Given children are smaller than adults shouldn't it be logistically easier?

Lol, oh look the child free brigade.

You try dropping a 6 month old into a child seat in the back seat of your car whilst parked a bay that some inconsiderate **** has parked badly in.

But hey children are smaller so it's fine, oh and sorry about knocking your car with my door because I couldn't quite hold my door whilst holding my child too, im sure it's cool and you understand though, right?

Last edited:
Soldato
Was in M&S multi storey carpark today, parked in a disabled bay whilst my elderly, disabled Nan was in the shop.

I witnessed an old couple, complete with disabled badge like the one sitting on my dashboard, park in one of the Parent and Child bays because all of the disabled bays were taken. According to the law, I believe this is perfectly fine?

Young mother strolled past with 2 infants in their pushchair, and proceeded to shout at the old guy, who looked old enough to have been in WW2 btw, that they are not allowed to park there, and asked them how dare they and who do they think they are? Old guy looked really scared and frightened, I really wanted to intervene but thought, what can I do...visions of me getting arrested for verbally assaulting a young woman went through my mind, so I did nothing, and had to stand next to my car and watch her rage at this poor old fella and his wife.

I bet she is a single mother, on benefits, probably doesn't even pay tax, and there she is yelling and swearing and bullying some defenseless old man, who looked around the age that he could have defended our country in WW2, defended the lives of people like her!, because she thinks only parents like herself are allowed special spaces.

What is this country coming to...

The worst bit of it all was that the owners of the car next to me came out before my Nan did....and they weren't even disabled; 2 young, kinda hot looking teenage mothers, with 3 kids between them, in a huge MPV parked diagonally across two disabled bays... the whole reason this older couple could not find a space to park in!

I am so mad I am still fuming!

People are too self obsessed its all me, me ,me . Social media is encouraging a nation of narcissistic idiots.

Permabanned
This was in Truro.

Plymouth has completely changed now btw, I don't even think there is a Primark as an independent store anymore.

Is it a poorly made judgement though? How do you know he isn't a WW2 vet and how do you know she isn't a single mother?

Funny how a lot of families on benefits alone now shop at M&S isn't it...says something about how much money they are leeching!

Last time I was in the Plymouth was May 2012. Primark had a massive store in the Drake Circus shopping center.

You based your OP on assumptions you thought would get a largely right wing, well-to-do forum up in arms.

Caporegime
If statistics existed for M&S customers that could show the proportion of people shopping there who's only source of income was from benefits I would hazard a guess that it's an almost insignificant number.

Not that it should really concern anyone how people choose to spend their money.

Associate
90% of users calling OP a coward would have probably done the same under the circumstances, it's just too easy to have a go at him and look the man in front of everyone else on the forum.

I think the trouble is that authorities are so overzealous and lacking in common sense nowadays that people are scared to get involved in any disputes, you only have to offend/scare someone on Twitter and the police get involved.

Bang on. A lot of immature tools on this thread. The op should have said something, or at the very least comforted the man after, but the amount of people who've got on their high horse and given pretty harsh grief is equally disturbing. I'm sure discussions used to be more civil here. It feels like a lot of users just troll, bait or judge others harshly and very quickly these days. I don't know why it has to descend into a ****ging match so quickly. There's a definite developing pattern of it here, and the sad thing is I find myself getting drawn into it too, which I hate. It's the easiest and most cowardly thing to act the big man online. I'd like to see a return to more civility between members. This isn't 4chan.

Pure mob mentality. GD needs a clean up.

Caporegime
I can't speak for everyone else who's been having a go but I honestly don't care whether the OP stepped in or not, he has his reasons for not doing so.

I think the reason for the grief is because the thread was clearly started with the expectation of having a bunch of posters pile in and circle-jerk themselves senseless talking about how the country has gone to the dogs, how single parents are scum, anyone who isn't floating around on the magical powers of having pulled themselves up with their own bootstraps is a waste of space etc. There were assumptions made in the OP and irrelevant details added which wouldn't look out of place in the comments section of a tabloid website that everyone loves to hate.

If you're going to clean up GD then all the low quality posting has to go with it, and that doesn't exclude the first post in this thread.

Soldato
Bang on. A lot of immature tools on this thread. The op should have said something, or at the very least comforted the man after, but the amount of people who've got on their high horse and given pretty harsh grief is equally disturbing. I'm sure discussions used to be more civil here. It feels like a lot of users just troll, bait or judge others harshly and very quickly these days. I don't know why it has to descend into a ****ging match so quickly. There's a definite developing pattern of it here, and the sad thing is I find myself getting drawn into it too, which I hate. It's the easiest and most cowardly thing to act the big man online. I'd like to see a return to more civility between members. This isn't 4chan.

Pure mob mentality. GD needs a clean up.

It's been like this since I joined, nothing's changed.

GD <3

Permabanned
I can't speak for everyone else who's been having a go but I honestly don't care whether the OP stepped in or not, he has his reasons for not doing so.

I think the reason for the grief is because the thread was clearly started with the expectation of having a bunch of posters pile in and circle-jerk themselves senseless talking about how the country has gone to the dogs, how single parents are scum, anyone who isn't floating around on the magical powers of having pulled themselves up with their own bootstraps is a waste of space etc. There were assumptions made in the OP and irrelevant details added which wouldn't look out of place in the comments section of a tabloid website that everyone loves to hate.

If you're going to clean up GD then all the low quality posting has to go with it, and that doesn't exclude the first post in this thread.

This.

Associate

Fair point, but it just seems like 3/4 of the posts (or more) are just drivel. More often that not it's a crap meme reference, a knee jerk judgment or the infuriatingly ubiquitous "this". It's become so banal. It might sound cliched but I'm sure it wasn't like this a few years back. I only mention it because I'm starting to lose enjoyment of browsing the forums a bit, and I doubt I'm the only one.

Back
Top Bottom