Simple, online backups

Soldato
Hey folks, I am looking to sort out a backup solution for a friends company, they have an existing O365 account so Onedrive looks tempting, basically, this is really all that needs doing;

2 folders to be backed up to the cloud, ideally nightly, and incremental backups, the data is about 250GB or so, and growing, although slowly, so it won't be, say, 300GB for about 3-6 months or so.

One of the folders houses a sql database, so cannot be backed up when in use, so a nightly backup would be best.

I suppose as a bonus, the machine being able to be backed up would be good, it is just a desktop pc being used as a shared folder for the purpose of accessing/storing files that everyone accesses within that office, as well as housing the main database for a software program that around 15 users are connected to locally.

With something like Onedrive, it looks like the files need to be in that folder from what I can see (ie like Dropbox)? So it would not work as it needs to be folders that I can choose from the PC itself,

iDrive seems to be another option, but with them already having an O365 business account I do seem to lean towards Onedrive if anyone has any experience with it in this instance?

Thanks in advance :)

Soldato
Crashplan or BackBlaze

Either of these would be perfect for you requirements. Both are unlimited and both are cheap (around $5 per month). You just need to install the software and basically forgot about it - it'll just continually backup in the background.

Crashplan has unlimited retention so you can restore files that you might have accidentally deleted months or years ago, whereas with BackBlaze you can only go 30 days back in time.

Crashplan is slooooow for restoring files (personal experience) but from what I've read BackBlaze is much faster.

The BackBlaze user interface also seems much nicer and simpler than Crashplans.

I have Crashplan set up to backup to the cloud and also to a local drive. This means I have a bit of extra redundancy but also gets around Crashplans slow download speed, since in most instances I can restore from the local backup. If you did go with Crashplan I recommend doing the same - a 1TB external drive can be picked up peanuts these days.

Last edited:
Soldato
Duplicati + Amazon Cloud Drive.

This looks an interesting solution for me actually, couple of quick questions if you dont mind:

1. If I sign up to the Amazon Cloud Drive can I only back up from one location? It would be for the business first but I need a solution for my home photos too.
  2. Does it work the same as DropBox where is has a "shared folder" or is that where Duplicati comes in to stop the need for a dedicated folder?
  3. What retention does it have? I couldnt find anything specifically for the Cloud Drive

Associate
With something like Onedrive, it looks like the files need to be in that folder from what I can see (ie like Dropbox)? So it would not work as it needs to be folders that I can choose from the PC itself,

iDrive seems to be another option, but with them already having an O365 business account I do seem to lean towards Onedrive if anyone has any experience with it in this instance?
Bit late with this, but if you're inclined to use OneDrive it's worth bearing in mind that it supports hard links to directories outside the designated OneDrive folder itself, eg:

Code:
mklink /J C:\Users\%User%\OneDrive\MyStuff d:\MyStuff

The contents of "d:\MyStuff" will be synced as if "MyStuff" were an actual OneDrive subfolder.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
  1. If I sign up to the Amazon Cloud Drive can I only back up from one location? It would be for the business first but I need a solution for my home photos too.
  2. Does it work the same as DropBox where is has a "shared folder" or is that where Duplicati comes in to stop the need for a dedicated folder?
  3. What retention does it have? I couldnt find anything specifically for the Cloud Drive

1) As many as you want.
2) No. It doesn't offer traditional file sync.
3) Unlimited retention, just keep paying for the ACD sub.

Associate
I would second a vote for Crashplan. I don't use the cloud feature, but i do use it on 2 PCs in different parts of the UK, and cross-backup between them to get my offsite.

Associate
It seems a few folk are unhappy with how the restoration process works with Backblaze due to you sending your password over SSL. To be honest I sort of understand what they are saying to an extent but it's paranoia to say the least.

Still I do like the sound of Backblaze very much and will be taking a much closer look at them soon!

Stoner81.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
It seems a few folk are unhappy with how the restoration process works with Backblaze due to you sending your password over SSL. To be honest I sort of understand what they are saying to an extent but it's paranoia to say the least.

Still I do like the sound of Backblaze very much and will be taking a much closer look at them soon!

Backblaze isn't a Trust No One solution. In this day and age, many people are looking for a bulletproof solution.

Associate
Thanks for replying.

I've signed up to Amazon's three month trial and have just installed Duplicati. I don't suppose you know if there are any setup tutorials? (I am looking myself, honest.)

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Thanks for replying.

I've signed up to Amazon's three month trial and have just installed Duplicati. I don't suppose you know if there are any setup tutorials? (I am looking myself, honest.)

Not aware of any. Is there something you're struggling with?

You may want to have a read of some of the technical articles.

Back
Top Bottom