What should I look for in a NAS?

Associate
I'm intending on adding a NAS to my home system. It's only me that uses it (other than when I have guests etc), but I have multiple PCs that need access, hence the NAS.

My requirements for one is:
Ability to access files as per a standard networked drive on other PCs
Ability to stream video files etc to Rasp Pi running Kodi
RAID capable (2 drives initially, but would like the capability to add more in the future)
5TB+ total capacity
Ability to run a torrent client
Ability to access files over the web (web browser?) (app on phone would be nice if such a thing exists too)
Ability to auto backup to google drive would be good (I have unlimited storage)
Ability to run jdownloader (or similar if there are others as good) would be good
Low idle power consumption
Sleep/Wake timers (either by clock, or activity) would be good

That's everything I can think of that I need, but is there anything else I need to think about?
I assume all NAS systems on the market are capable of the first couple of points, but are any others standard features? Are any of the items I listed above not available on anything?
Are there easy ways to find out about some of the features (e.g. names of particular tech that's used that would fulfil my requirements?)

I'll most likely look at 2nd hand units, in order to reduce the cost, so please bare this in mind before suggesting particular products (although suggestions of families/products from the last few years would be good)

Back
Top Bottom