How to test an SSD Drive

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Hi

I'm having problems with an 1tb evo 850. I use it mainly to store games and Im lukcy if it works at all. Steam won't start, file explorer hangs and even when I manage to get tools to use error check it just hangs. It's still in warranty but is their anything I should try before sending it back?

Soldato
is steam installed on the SSD a long with with the software you are trying to run?

Is your OS installed on a different HDD\SSD?

I would maybe first replace the Sata cable and try a different pot to see if this helps. what motherboard do you have?

Check event viewer and it should give you details of the crashes etc.

Associate
^This try a different SATA port. Try a different SATA cable.

Issue persists? HDTune/CrystaldiskINFO/chkdsk

(To run check disk, open the command prompt with admin priveledges by typing CMD then when the command prompt pops up right click it and select run as administrator)

From the command prompt type CHKDSK C: /R (where "C" is your drive letter. I don't know if your drive letter is C. It could be D or another letter.)

You might try, using a different SATA cable and port, reinstalling windows after making sure your SATA controller is set to AHCI in your bios, which you should update to the latest bios.

Honestly though, personally, I would just RMA the drive if you can't get it working.

It bears mentioning that this could all be due to a flaky windows install and a reinstall (ensuring proper settings) may fix this.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
OP
I managed to update the ssd to the latest firmware using Samsung Magician, I'lll order a new Sata cable today and see how it goes. I have reinstalled Windows twice now:(

Back
Top Bottom