New Monitor - 27" 1440

Associate
Hi Guys,

I am currently using a Dell U2515H but I have decided I want to get a new monitor so I am in market for a new monitor. I have been looking at a few different options but have been edging toward going for the Dell S2716DG. It looks to have great reviews on here, and decent ones on other sites.

I will be using it mainly for gaming and some video editing (Mainly gaming though, nothing too demanding - Overwatch/Rocket League, Ark and Minecraft) and will be using my 980ti with it.

Does anyone have one of these and can offer any real world experience using it for gaming in similar games, or offer an similarly priced alternative that may be better if they are available.

I understand things can be a little bit a lottery in terms on dead/stuck pixels and backlight bleed etc. at the minute from reading around here but I have always been happy with my Dell monitors and I am happy to take the risk anyway.

Associate
I've had one for a little while now and its fantastic, really fast and smooth, and great IQ once I tweaked the settings a bit. One of the best purchases I've made with regards to gaming :)

I believe the quality control on these units is pretty good, from what I have read and my experience. No BLB or dead pixels and mine was a B Grade too.

These are the settings I'm using if you do decide to take the plunge.

Nvidia Control Panel>Adjust desktop color settings:
Brightness-67%
Contrast-50%
Gamma-0.60%
Digital vibrance-65%
Hue-0

DELL Monitor settings:
Brightness-55%
Contrast-75%
Color>Custom Color:
R-97%
G-99%
B-96%

Soldato
Tbh I could count on one hand the games I felt benefited significantly from 144hz, mainly CS:GO and to a certain extent DotA 2. But if I didn't play CS:GO I would forego 144 hz without any qualms at all. Then again, I also found 1440p to be overrated for anything but productivity so.. I wouldn't recommend the upgrade for your situation, though I do have to say it's all subjective - give it a try, if you don't like it you can return it.

Associate
Tbh I could count on one hand the games I felt benefited significantly from 144hz, mainly CS:GO and to a certain extent DotA 2. But if I didn't play CS:GO I would forego 144 hz without any qualms at all. Then again, I also found 1440p to be overrated for anything but productivity so.. I wouldn't recommend the upgrade for your situation, though I do have to say it's all subjective - give it a try, if you don't like it you can return it.

I'd have expected G-Sync to have had a greater impact, is that not the case in your experience?

Soldato
I'd have expected G-Sync to have had a greater impact, is that not the case in your experience?

G-sync/Freesync do have a significant impact, but again, game-dependent as well as setting dependent. But since I play games like CS:GO and DotA 2 >90% of the time, it's not really anything to write about (don't have freesync anymore btw). The only game I can say, yeah that's absolutely worth it, was for GTA V. That's it. Again though, very subjective.

Personally I struggle to imagine upgrading monitors any time soon, I am definitely eyeing 4K TVs + Freesync for next year maybe, but monitor-wise, not really, at least not for gaming.

Associate
OP
Well, I bit the bullet and i have to say this monitor is amazing lol. I got another U2515H as well but am using the S2716DG as my main screen and absolutely love it. Highly recommend it to anyone who stumbles across this thread in the future.

Associate
Im exactly the same as you! Using the dell 1440p 60hz ips and looking at the S2716DG for gsync

but its £499 (on highlight) but it's been on sale for £450 before so im holding off or buying elsewhere. Can't stand buying things that have been sold for cheaper before :/

edit, its cheaper on overclockers main rival but not by much

Last edited:
Associate
You may not have this issue, dependant on the second monitors refresh rate. Check your cards is down clocking when on the desktop.

I found and did some research, when running the main monitor 144hz with g-sync on. Along with a second monitor the card does not down clock on idle. Set the monitor refresh rate to 120hz for desktop and in the 3D manager driver settings. Set, preferred refresh rate to, Highest available. This will switch the monitor to 144hz for fullscreen applications. If you check your GPU clock with AB and when on the desktop its running high, change the desktop refresh rate. It will then down clock to 135Mhz and not the 950Mhz it would be running at. I idle at 33oc otherwise it was near 60oc. Zotac 980Ti

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterra...u_temp_almost_double/?st=isaqsv32&sh=85ec4f53

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18727295

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom