Spec me some cans

Associate
Hi

I bought a set of Hifiman 400i's, i'm enjoying the planar sound but I find these a little too bright. Also being my first open cans I didn't realise exactly how much leakage you get from them. I'm finding that I can't turn them up because the mrs can't hear the tv, or I can hear the tv over my music when a track goes a little quiet.

So, can anyone recommend some closed planar cans? Looking to spend up to £600.

All I can see are the Oppo PM-3's and Audeze EL-8 closed. Any suggestions or opinions on these two.?

Thanks

Associate
OP
Yeah I heard heard quite a few say good things about the Oppo's, but one or two reviews says they can be a bit bass light. I'm going to have to go listen to some i think.

The problem with the Fostex is that the planars they do are a too hard to drive for my baby amp (Chord Mojo).

Cheers

Soldato
Yeah I heard heard quite a few say good things about the Oppo's, but one or two reviews says they can be a bit bass light. I'm going to have to go listen to some i think.

The problem with the Fostex is that the planars they do are a too hard to drive for my baby amp (Chord Mojo).

Cheers

Im not sure man, even though i have no experience of the Mojo its suppose to be very good. I think people vastly vastly (head-fi) overate how much power you really need.

Apparently some selfridiges have the Oppo on demo.

Associate
OP
Yeah I think the Mojo is great, really enjoying it. See thats the problem, it's difficult to get correct information. I've spent hours on head fi reading tons of threads with little joy. I went with the Hifimans because of the great reviews but I find them very harsh and difficult to listen to.

I'll have to drop by Selfridges on the weekend then, there is also a Richer Sounds not far but last time I went in there they didn't seem to have many HP's on display.

Soldato
Yeah I think the Mojo is great, really enjoying it. See thats the problem, it's difficult to get correct information. I've spent hours on head fi reading tons of threads with little joy. I went with the Hifimans because of the great reviews but I find them very harsh and difficult to listen to.

I'll have to drop by Selfridges on the weekend then, there is also a Richer Sounds not far but last time I went in there they didn't seem to have many HP's on display.

Have you had a look at Fostex TH610? Such a nice looking pair.

Associate
OP
PM3s really are terribly good. I didnt find them bass-light either, but then I do prefer a more neutral sound sig.

I did try the PM-2's, from what I remember they were good, didn't quite have that planar speed of the 400i's though, sounded closer to a dynamic driver.

Thanks for your help guys. In the end, after trying a few at my local HP shop I bought the Focal Elears.

Associate
The PM-3 is amongst the most boring headphones I've heard that are considered mid range. They suck the fun out all my fav recordings. Technically they are ok, lacking dynamics and they don't really bring it subtle detail that great.

Stay away from the EL-8's I wouldn't even use them if I was given them for free, seriously.

Just seen you've got the Elear, good choice you will get better bass impact and the lowest bass distortion(2nd only to the Nighthawk) just be wary of a funny treble if that doesn't bother you then enjoy! I really like them.

Associate
OP
The PM-2's didn't seem too bad, I didn't listen to them for very long however.

I have noticed a slight drop somewhere in the midrange, but I think they are fantastic. I made sure that I could return them to the shop if I wasn't impressed. They're staying, the more I listen to them, the more I enjoy them.

Back
Top Bottom