Build-your-own speakers

Associate
I had a bit of a search, but couldn't find too much on the subject on here, or on Google (beyond one or two pretty uninspiring amateur attempts).

My question is: is there a place for building your own speakers (i.e. following a guide) in order to get higher quality speakers at a particular price point? I'm thinking in terms of floorstanders/bookshelf speakers to go along with a TV/Hi-Fi set up.

It then doubles as an interesting DIY project, and you can customise the design to your whim.

Am I missing something, or is there a precedence for this sort of thing?

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Diyaudio is an excellent resource but don't expect it to be much cheaper than buying pre built. http://www.troelsgravesen.dk has a cracking range of designs, ipl acoustics offer kits and SEAS have some designs on their site.

Falcon acoustics, wilmslow audio & loudspeakerfreaks are excellent places to buy the necssary components.

Man of Honour
Building from a kit is one thing but doing speakers properly and/or any real customisation requires a surprising amount of knowledge - audio engineering, physics, etc.

Caporegime
You will be surprised what the margins are for some companies speakers.

BK for instance probably only make 15% on their subwoofers. Monitor Audio probably only make 30% on their speakers.

Plus you can always buy second hand which means your getting speakers worth thousands for hundreds.

e.g. I would like to see you build my system for even double the money I paid for them second hand.

Monitor Audio BX6's (fronts) with matching Centre speaker - £220 collected (plus about £20 in fuel drving to and from)

Monitor Audio BX2's (surrounds) - £125 delivered

BK XXLS400 DF - I bought this second hand but it was brand new the owner bought it the month before he sold it to me (gave me receipt) and he had never even opened the box. I think they are £440 plus delivery. I think I paid around £350-£375 including delivery

http://exceptional-av.co.uk/monitor...age-5-1.html?gclid=CKr_-4ewwdECFZMYGwodJncN4A

The newer version of my setup is around £1400 albeit I have a much better sub than that system as I opted for BK over MA. So I paid roughly 50% of what that sort of system retails for.

Soldato
it depends where your particular skills lie. if you are good at cabinet making and have the tools you could easily by a pair of S/H high quality speakers and make new enclosures that are better suited in design to what you like so long as you stick with the basic volume and internal size of the original enclosure then yes you could easily take on sonnys challenge and beat it :D

Man of Honour
it depends where your particular skills lie. if you are good at cabinet making and have the tools you could easily by a pair of S/H high quality speakers and make new enclosures that are better suited in design to what you like so long as you stick with the basic volume and internal size of the original enclosure then yes you could easily take on sonnys challenge and beat it :D

If you are looking at high end though even taking the basic volume and internal size and layout of the original just a slight change in the material used i.e. density/thickness could have quite an impact on the sound.

Associate
I think your initial outlay to get the tools necessary (if you don't have any of them already) to make 'high end' speakers will be more than the saving you would make by making your own speakers.
High end speakers have many hours of research, testing and tweaking, careful choosing of components and materials and special shaping of cabinets to achieve their audio quality.
You can get a lot of woomph for cheap by building your own, but they won't be subtle and they won't be pro pretty.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you are looking at high end though even taking the basic volume and internal size and layout of the original just a slight change in the material used i.e. density/thickness could have quite an impact on the sound.

Depends where you put the baseline of high end.

Can't believe I put by and not buy in my other post lol

Kei

Kei

Soldato
So far I've built 2 sub woofers and 1 pair of full range multi way speakers. The sub woofers were significantly easier to design as there is no crossover to take account of nor is there as much influence from the cabinet design provided it is an appropriate volume, shape and of sufficient rigidity/density.

For sub woofers, winISD is a decent piece of software for modelling. It's not perfect but it gets you in the ballpark. This was my first go, which I designed and built during my GCSE's for D&T 15 years ago. It received an upgraded driver in 2015 as the original whilst still working fine wasn't the best quality due to cost constraints.

This was the difference in sheer size even though they both fit in the same aperture. The weight difference was also huge.

Red shows original design, blue shows the replacement driver. Significantly less boomy above 50Hz and better low end response.

Sub 2 was built last year. Designed to be more compact than the previous and of a better finish.
gallery_44179_303_195219.jpg

Response in green. Vs the one above in blue. Better response again, but it came at the cost of reduced efficiency.
gallery_44179_303_99118.jpg

Designing a full way speaker was a lot harder. Rather than building a cabinet from scratch, I utilised an old cabinet and selected my own choice of drivers. I chose to combine some vintage KEF B200 SP1063 bextrene woofers with some modern SEAS 22TFF tweeters which would produce a design similar to the original KEF Chorale. The crossover had to be built to the KEF design to get a base and then tweaked from there to suit the non standard design. To do this properly, you need appropriate measurement equipment.

This was the built cabinet.

Crossover as built.
37K-X-over_zps2e9e5efe.jpg

L-pad on tweeter was directly across the terminals.
316011d1354750036-goodmans-minister-kef-37k2.jpg

Connected up and tested, the following things were noticeable when tested, tweeters in anti-phase as per the original KEF design didn't work. Notice the green plot has a huge dip at 3KHz. Putting the tweeter in phase as per the blue plot solved the problem.
Holm3_zps575da292.jpg

Also notice the dip around 1KHz. This is caused by the KEF notch filter in the crossover. Damping the filter out using a 10 ohm resistor flattened out the response.
Holm4_zps9cf23e58.jpg

Holm6_zpse0b834f5.jpg

Final response plot as measured, after many hours of tinkering. This plot doesn't fully take into account the issues that the front baffle would introduce as it's a nearfield measurement.
ARTA-1_zps07ab537a.jpg

The end result was actually remarkably good. By no means a super accurate speaker but it was certainly better than average. I had to aperiodically damp the cabinet, which basically meant stuffing the ports with foam. It's problems mainly related to the cabinet and the use of the antique bextrene woofer. The front baffle edges protruding so far out and my not flush mounting the woofer will have some strong effects on the overall response smoothness. There is also the fact that the cabinet followed the old BBC design ethos of thin walls and no bracing and relying on damping materials on the cabinet walls to do the job. I quite like the design but it's a hotly debated topic. Most prefer the braced to the insane technique these days but not being the most skilled with wood means that I prefer not having to over-complicate the designs. The easiest way to flush mount drivers would have been to double skin the main baffle with larger cutouts but the seconds skin would need to be the appropriate thickness.

Once fully built, they were pretty decent looking too. They finally got replaced by a pair of Tannoy 10" Super red monitors. By comparison, the DIY speakers sound a little bright and lack some refinement in the mid and very low range, but this is slight.
gallery_44179_303_733.jpg

Man of Honour
Nice - kind of want to make my own speakers but know I wouldn't be happy with the results of winging it these days (I played around with simpler stuff as a kid with like 2 watt drivers, etc.) and don't have time/motivation to develop an understanding of the engineering, etc. that goes into it.

Soldato
Nice - kind of want to make my own speakers but know I wouldn't be happy with the results of winging it these days (I played around with simpler stuff as a kid with like 2 watt drivers, etc.) and don't have time/motivation to develop an understanding of the engineering, etc. that goes into it.

Yeah this is why I'd probably make a subwoofer instead, but then again not everyone has the space, good room acoustics etc

Caporegime
You mean the way Psycho Sonny does with his probablies and his propensity for talking BS?

it is well known that both the companies i stated make very little in terms of margins.

it is why those 2 are the go to companies for a lot of people.

BOSE however it's pretty obvious they have huge margins on their products.

plenty of discussion about this on AVforums too, wouldn't want the facts to get in the way though.

BK owner even came out and stated it's not worth his time or effort to increase his product line

Back
Top Bottom