Sennheiser G4me One or AKG K702 ?

Associate
hi guys I have sound blaster zxr and a pair of sennheiser pc 360 headset and a pair of beyerdynamic DT770 pro headphones and I was wondering if their is any difference in sound going from the pc160's to the g4me one headset when playing games like battlefield and cs go or would I be far better off spending the same money on the AKG K702 headphones or is there some other headphones or headset that sound better for upto £200 ?

Last edited:
Associate
The Game one's are basically HD558's. Compared to the K702 they are a bit of a different sound, warmer, bassier while the K702's are leaner, airier and more spacious sounding. The K702 is a better headphone when it comes to sound quality resolution but it's also harder to drive.

Personally I find it hard to listen to a lot of AKG's as there's just too many peaks in weird places and they usually require minor mods like ear pads changes to the AKG memory foam pads and grill mods but some people like them stock.

I think the Game Zero is a less hassle better choice as I think the volume wheel on the cup in really convenient and the mic is decent.

Soldato
From a positional sound point of view, AKG's will likely be a better choice. As has been said above though, quite a different sound to the others. You may like it, you may not. Hard to say until you've tried them. I remember another member tried some K702 recently, and he really didn't get on with them at all. I think he ended up going for some Sennheiser HD599.

As above, they do require more oomph than the Sennheisers, but the ZxR will have no trouble with them. It's has the same amp found in the Xonar Essence cards and FiiO E09K.

If you do fancy trying the AKG's, make sure you get them from somewhere where it's easy to return them if you are not satisfied.

Associate
OP
i think I might have to pass on the G4me one as they seem exactly the same as my sennheiser pc360's.ive always liked the sennheiser sound so maybe their headphones will be best choice. I only have the beyerdynamic dt770's for late night gaming cos the wife can hear my pc360's open back cos she has super hearing I don't lol

Associate
I really like the 702 sound but after a couple of years the elastic on mine went droppy and they end up slipping on my head. Such a poor design....t
It's like the vent on the Deathstar

Associate
OP
im confused as to what to try as most reviews are all about music and I want for gaming. not sure which to go for out of the sennheiser hd598 closed back or open back (sounds like the closed back has a little more bass which might be better for gaming) or the hd599 or hd 600 or even the hd650 if people think its worth the extra money at £235. do you think all these headphones will sound better than my sennheiser pc360 headset or beyerdynamic dt770 pro headphones ?

Associate
No one can say what sounds better to you. When it comes down to it sound quality doesn't matter as much as enjoyment so it depends what you like. The HD600/650 are headphones designed to have a system built around them and they keep giving when you upgrade your equipment, it's basically a last stop unless you want a different type of sound. When I tested the HD598 to the HD650 for gaming soundstage was similar but the HD598 is a leaner headphone with lower quality drivers. It doesn't separate sounds how I personally like(a bit smeared) but many others find it acceptable. The HD650 is warm, engaging with fantastic mids so voices in games will sound full and fleshed out. I liked using them for games like the Witcher which have a great soundtrack.

Your budget is limited so the best you are looking at are

HD650/HD600(£200-250) - Warm, bassy, natural and engaging and resolving.
K712(£212)Warm, extended well at both ends, resolving with a good soundstage.
K612(£90-100) balanced, fairly resolving for it's price, good bass extension and good air

Associate
OP
Well I can say these 650's sound great with music and a step up from my pc160 headset for games although not sure if I can say the £240 price tag is worth it over the price of pc160's or g4me ones but they do sound great :D

Soldato
The best way to compare is to use the HD650s exclusively for a few days, to allow your brain to adjust to the new signature and then listen to something you know well, then immediately swap to the old headphone/headset.

Back
Top Bottom