Help me decide NFB-11 vs Aune x1s (rids57 please come in)

Associate
I'm trying to decide between the Audio GD NFB-11 and the Aune X1s.

It will be used with HD650. Disregarding cash, which should I go for? They look pretty similar on paper bar the NFB-11 having more power. Think the dac is the same though.

Love to hear from anyone with experience of either.

Soldato
While they do both share a DAC chip, the circuitry surrounding them is very different so they won't necessarily sound the same. According to the specs, at 300 ohms, the HD650's nominal input impedance, the Aune puts out 200mw while the NFB-11 manages 300mw. The HD650s need 60mw to get pretty loud, so both amps are fine for power. Audio-GD has built a strong reputation over the years and the NFB-11 is probably their most popular device now that the NFB-15 has been discontinued. Honestly, I don't think there is much between them, the Aune looks a lot nicer but the Audio-GD, while lacking in the looks has tried and tested internals.

At $305 + $37 + import duty, which is anyone's guess, the Audio-GD will be the more expensive of the two, although I don't know where you are sourcing the Aune as it's not available on the rain forest.

I did toy with the idea of getting an NFB-11 at one point but was put off by the strange purchasing method of emailing for a quote, followed by paying by Paypal and getting stung for $37 for delivery and god knows how much at customs. Then there is the issue of what to do if something goes wrong - it would have to be shipped back to China and then you'd likely get stung again for import duty when it returned to the UK.

I took the easy way out and went the Schiit route instead. :D

For that kind of money you could also get a very impressive Schiit stack...

Schiit Modi Multibit (£270) + Schiit Vali 2 (£165) or Schiit Magni 2/Uber (£110/£150) if you prefer solid state.
The Multibit DAC is not as analytical as the SABRE ES9018 in the two Chinese units but is far more musical if that is your preference, while all of the amps can drive HD650s with ease. One big benefit being, you can buy them in the UK and get a UK warranty.

Associate
OP
Wow Thanks rids! Great info!

Think I'm going to go for the Uber Stack. The UK support makes it attractive. But one thing I hadn't really considered is the desk space with the nfb-11.

Last edited:
Soldato
you will not be disappointed by the nfb-11 it will last you this entire hobby tbh unless you buy some crazy headphones like the HE-6. What it lacks in appearance it makes up for in quality. Not heard many bad things at all about them and they seem to be gaining momentum as the chi-fi go to brand.

Personally wouldn't trust zeos's reviews his ears appear to be broken :D

schiit stack won't match up to an nfb 11 but rids is right about the costs incurred.

nfb-11 is €419 shipped from a dutch company called magna (no import duty to apply as you're already paying tax) roughly £370. (EU consumer law would also be on your side with this option over shipping from china)

user on these forums called techion has a nfb 11 i think.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Due to space constraints and the need just to make a choice I've decided to go for

Modi multibit
Magni 2 uber.

Thanks for the input both!

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Another vote for Schiit, as I personally run Modi Multibit & Vali2 and ive been very pleased with it using my 650's.

Associate
Go for a Modi M and Vali 2 for the 650.

The Vali 2 handles treble perfectly IMO.

I had the Schiit Jot here along with the Elise(£600-700) Eddie Current Black Widow(£1000+) and lots more on loan and I still picked the Vali 2 as it just has this effortless, airy and smooth presentation that many maps can't get right.

The Modi M also shares similar characteristics so it pairs perfectly with the Vali 2 and it drives everything that isn't a HE-6 and E-Stats obviously. The 650 keeps scaring so it's good to get the Modi M in case you get a fever and decide to spend over a grand for an upgrade lol

Not heard the NFB-11 so I've no idea how it pairs with the HD650, I've heard from people I trust that it's a decent.

Back
Top Bottom