Desktop Setup help...

Soldato
Hey guys, I'm looking for a decent but good value desktop setup to run on my macbook.

Requirements is some desktop speakers, not too large, desktop amp and someone mentioned I should get a DAC separately from the desktop amp... I would either be listening via desktop speakers or headphones.

500 total budget? Is that enough for something decent?

Soldato
Which headphones do you have?

For a DAC you could consider something small such as the Audioquest Dragonfly Red, which would fit in with laptop portability.

I know more about active speakers so can recommend studio monitors such as:

Presonus Eris E4.5
Tannoy Reveal 402
Fluid Audio F4
Eve Audio SC204

I've tried to keep the woofer under 5", which means size will be small but at the sacrifice of lower frequencies.

Last edited:
Soldato
Throw Yamaha HS series active speakers into the mix. I've got the HS5 and not found them lacking bass wise personally (fairly small room to be fair).

Got them running off of a SMSL DAC SD793-ii which has un-amped RCA out. Optically linked to PC and coax to Chromecast Audio. Been more than impressed for a budget item, excellent little headphone amp too.

Soldato
OP
AKG K702 headphones and I actually bought some Mission LX2s last night as they popped up preorder and looked really nice... :o
So that throws active ones out the window! I'm not too bothered about portability, as I move the laptop but it'll be setup when it's setup if that makes sense?

Soldato
Those do look nice and a great price, sounds like you will certainly be enjoying yourself :)

amp? Your budget will allow for a very good one :) unless you ordered the package which includes Denon DM40.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So I've got a nice Korg DAC, which looks nice, too. A set of Mission LX2s, but then still needs a stereo amp to power them. I would like something fairly small and that looks decent (want my desk area to be nice and well placed, not like having a stonking full size amp on there) what would people recommend?

Soldato
OK. Just wanted to get a rough idea of what you were considering. In my option, 750 pounds or euros is a lot too much to spend when the speakers are around £150.

You say fairly small. Have a look at NAD 3020D. That kind of size or smaller? That can stand on end, which will take up less space. Not cheap at £450, for something with only one analogue input; although it does have a DAC and various digital inputs.

Smaller will have to be something T amp size. There's a few options that are better than the cheap T amp offering, but not sure if the places that sell them ship to Europe.

Soldato
OP
I would say I wouldn't "want" to spend that much, but I just don't know what I should aim for to power them? I like the NAD, but with it's built in DAC, means my Korg becomes useless and it wasn't exactly cheap, so would like a straight up amp for it.

I can always find things that will ship here, or get them sent somehow here, interested in thoughts.

Soldato
I would say I wouldn't "want" to spend that much, but I just don't know what I should aim for to power them? I like the NAD, but with it's built in DAC, means my Korg becomes useless and it wasn't exactly cheap, so would like a straight up amp for it.

I can always find things that will ship here, or get them sent somehow here, interested in thoughts.

Yes it does have a DAC, but it does have analogue input. Many of these smaller amplifiers tend to be a combination of DAC and amp. There's probably very few that are just an amp.

Only other option I can think of that is just an amp, is something smaller again, like a T amp or similar. Temple Audio Bantam Gold, Amptastic Mini-1 and Project Stereo Box S integrated amplifier, are some good little amps that come to mind.

Soldato
OP
So I made a choice... see how it goes when I set it up! I went for the SMSL Q5 Pro HiFi Integrated Mini Digital Stereo Amp, although it has a built in DAC, I will try and use the Korg instead and use it inline, if that's possible. Form factor, power, sub out and price kind of won it for me. Plus the reviews seemed pretty good for the price, too.

So it's: SMSL Q5, Korg DS-DAC-10R, Mission LX2, AKG K702s and I just need to find a nice looking sub to sit there, too. Suggestions?

Soldato
SMSL do make some decent stuff and Z reviews often gives their products good comments on his YouTube channel. Looks like it fits the bill.

What are you looking to spend on a subwoofer?

Back
Top Bottom